Chapter 18 - Part 2

Weaving through the crowds, everyone gasping at the sight of me, stepping away from me. Amongst all these people I feel utterly alone. I'm just a particular object to observe. A missing princess, deemed dead and found years later, only to be paraded around like a spectacle. The fluttering voices gossiping fades with the twists of their gaze.

Silence hangs around me as the crowds realize my direction and I step up to the thrones. A loud, impatient tapping echoes against the platform. A curious man irritatingly tapping his foot beside the king.

Lowering myself into a deep bow, my skirt ruffles along the steps. Thaddeus turns, "Rise, my child." He offers me his hand along with an approving smile. Taking his hand, I'm welcomed up onto the exclusive platform. "Claire, I'd like to introduce you to Lord Nicholas Harris, Earl of Faycliff, from the Clifton region." 

Be polite, this is the only request Wilfrid has of me. Maybe this man isn't anything like Officer Quinton, I'll have to give him a chance. "Your reputation precedes you, Lord Nicholas."

"Indeed it does." He scratches his scruffy blonde beard in thought. "If only I were able to have welcomed you when you were on my land. Forgive me for that. Might I arrange for a tour of Clifton soon? My family would only be too pleased to house the princess for a time, and it would give me an opportunity to redeem myself with some much-needed hospitality."

Thaddeus is captivated in delight with the man. Nudging me slightly he reminds me to respond. "Would Kalen allow this?" Thoughts slip out of my mouth, and Thaddeus pulls away appalled by my comment.

"He won't have much say in the matter," Nicholas snaps. A lift of his lip pulls into a snarl.

"She is misinformed, Nicholas." Thaddeus glares at me for a second. "Kalen is employed for her protection detail. Nothing to fret about."

To the sides of the platform stand guards. They are everywhere, waiting for a use that will never come. This is some delusion that Thaddeus is creating. A mercenary employed for my protection, yet he isn't even here by my side. Is he even a mercenary, though? I never got the chance to ask Cecile after all the strange things Samuel had said.

Queen Helena drags me out of my thoughts with a gentle touch to my back. "Claire, Lord Nicholas is a dear friend of the crown. We would like you to become acquainted. How about a dance, before the performance starts?"

"Excellent idea, Queen Helena." Nicholas nods in agreement, twisting on his heel and glancing to me. "Follow me."

Slipping into step at his side, the crowd parts with bright eyes of wonder and gossiping whispers. Faces of people I have never met before swimming through the wall of nobles. A hand squeezes my elbow tightly, and Lord Nicholas leans in his short curls filling my vision. "You have quite the wandering eye. It is only polite to focus on your fiance when you are in his presence," he hisses.

Boiling the blood inside me, my heart pounds with disbelief. "We are hardly man and wife. I haven't agreed to anything of the sort," I spit. Tugging my arm back in anger.

"Agree? What a common delusion. It must be a dream of yours to dance with a man such as myself," he roars in a low laugher, "You should be grateful I am fixing your father's mistakes. Dancing with a lowlife, it's degrading to my station." He straightens his jacket with a tug.

"How dare you!"

"Do not act so surprised. Your father has been arranging our marriage since you arrived home. It is practically a done deal," he cackles his finger smacking my falling chin shut.

Confidence straightens my shoulders. Whomever Kalen is, mercenary or lord, this man is the reason Kalen and I are married. He is protecting me, and this thought roars inside me. A smirk twitches at my lips. "I will not be dancing with you tonight, and do not expect a marriage. That isn't his decision to make." Spinning on my heel with finality. Wide eyes from the crowd stare at me in shock.