Chapter 24 - Part 2

* Another warning for triggering. Feel free to ship this who chapter all together or follow my marks '*' if you want to give it a go.

The silence in the room is unbearable, my breaths the only noise within the empty prison. Snuggled into a corner, I tug the blanket, around my shoulder, tighter to my body. It's freezing in here, the warmth of the summer sun my only source of heat for days. Not once has any of the maids stayed long enough to start a fire, nor left any wood to light. Not that I even asked, my throat burns continuously.

Screaming loudly into the night for the first few days destroyed my voice, turning it hoarse. The lack of water I swallowed, caused my throat to shrivel up. No matter how many times Nicholas or Thaddeus visited, I couldn't even bear to squeak in fright. My throat hurts terribly even now.

My fingers play with the cold shard of ice on my neck. They hadn't noticed it, and for that I'm grateful. Sliding my thumb along the smooth surface, a calmness spreads through my hands and up my arm. Leaning my head against the wall, my chest caves in. My eyes prickle with tears again. He said he would fix this, yet here I am still stuck in this room.

The door stone cold and unmoving taunts me with a reminder that it could open. Open to another visitor. Nothing but empathetic faces of unknown maids and the monsters storming in with rage stop by.

Slowly, the door creaks open, and I ignore it altogether. Light footsteps, ease my stress, just another maid come to replace my uneaten food. The tray gently jostles as it's placed down on the table. No departure, the maid just stands there. Odd. Glancing up, through my fallen curtain of hair, I'm left in disbelief. "Estella?"

Her frizzy hair, tucked up into a bun just like I last saw her. A deep yellow bruise spread across her face, along her jaw and sunken into her eye. She weakly smiles, glancing behind her wearily towards the open door. An empathetic tear trails down her freckled skin as she watches me in horror.

"Kalen sent me," she whispers. I nod stiffly, still not certain if this is a dream. "He is going to fix this," she hiccups, fighting back her tears, "just keep waiting."

My hand glides along the smooth crystal with hope.

"Well, what do we have here?" A voice from my nightmare sends a shiver through my spine, he is here.

*

Estella silently gasps, her small figure tries to contain her trembles. The door slams and she jumps, spinning around in alarm. Lord Nicholas storms up to her, fisting her hair. She screams, her neck cranked back, and her back arched painfully. Clawing at his hands, she struggles to get away.

He smiles leaning down and forcing a sloppy kiss onto her. She spits at him rebelliously, and he chuckles turning her face towards me. Falling to her knees, we stare at each other, fear passing through us.

"Don't you love her little markings, Claire?"

I shake my head, tears flinging away.

"Have you learned your lesson?"

I nod in panic, agreeing to anything he says.

"I'm not convinced," his smile chills me, and I squeeze my eyes shut terrified of his next actions. Her screams fill the room and burn themselves into my memory.

~Another short chapter and I do apologize for Nicholas's evilness. Is Estella alive? Will Kalen arrive before Chloe is completely broken? Is it even too late now?~