Chapter 19 - Part 1

My shoulder clips into a man and I stumble. The man is quick to spin on his heel and snatch me from my fall. "Pardon me," he hums in delight. Through the blurry tears filling my eyes, I can make out the man bending into a grand bow. Another lord? I can't deal with this again. A single finger strokes back the tears on my face. "A lady shouldn't cry at her own event. Allow me to introduce myself, I'm Prince Rowan of Caprese." His hand placed over his heart with a sense of pride towards his kingdom.

Gasps flutter through the crowd around us at his introduction. For the first time, I take in the man before me. His slick black hair pulls back into a low pony, he did look entirely foreign. A grand cape falls from his shoulders, the only cape worn beside Thaddeus'. My jaw drops and I awkwardly, sink into a curtsy.

He bursts with a light chortle, offering his hand, he pulls me to my feet. "May I compliment you on your ability to obtain General Kalen's attention."

"How is that a compliment?" I grumble with distaste.

He nods with a smile of understanding. "Usually it wouldn't be, but I know it takes quite the woman to interest him."

"I'm rather annoyed with being offended by men like you, excuse me," I huff.

Sudden confusion presses his thick brows together. "Forgive me, I never meant to come here and offend you. Your situation is extremely unique. I can appreciate his infatuation."

I scoffed, crossing my arms. Unique. Infatuation. Is this how everyone sees me? I'm unusual for being a princess raised like a wild beast.

Rowan lifts a brow at my attitude. "My cousin isn't the type of man to let just anyone accompany him. I see you have a personality to match even his. I'll assume he will be in good hands with you." A sly smirk lifts his cheek.

Dropping my hands to my side, my features soften with surprise. "I had no idea Kalen is your cousin, I'm sorry," I mumble, my face warming with embarrassment.

"No need for apologies, Kalen is known to irritate even the most patient of us all. Quite the man you have wrapped around your finger. Try not to use his abilities for evil."

Wrapped around my finger? He doesn't know we are married, does he? "You must be misunderstanding, we aren't-" I hesitate. Panic thunders inside my chest, I can't say anything aloud without gossip spreading. "Kalen only wishes for me to choose a proper king to rule."

"Truly? Searching for a king where there are only lords, what a strange strategy he has. I'd rethink his goals and search for someone with royal blood to rule." Rowan seems amused by his own words. Leaning in he whispers, "Know this, my cousin doesn't do things on a whim. After all, you were betrothed."

It is like his words drag the air from my lungs. "What?" My mind falls into complete confusion. Kalen and I betrothed? What more can I not have known about this mercenary?

Light giggles flutter around me, pulling me from my thoughts. Young ladies squeal with fake embarrassment as men in slick masks drag or cox them out into the dance floor.

"You didn't know?" Rowan almost gasps himself.

A performer saunters up to me and wraps his warm hands around my fingers. "Oh no, thank you. I'm busy." I shoo him with a wave of my hand.

Rowan places a hand on my shoulder. "Don't disappoint your guests, Princess Claire, they have all arrived to see you dance." He waves the masked man forward. "Come take her," he chuckles.

I wave my hands, and Rowan slides me forward. The masked man curls his fingers in a gesturing call to me. I shake my head digging my heel into the tiles. Rowan is far stronger than I, it is a losing battle. Suddenly, the man flips me over his shoulders, and I screech. The audience roars into laughter at my dismay.