Chapter 13 - Part 2

The carriage door opens, and Cecile releases my stare. Wilfrid raises his hand and Cecile beams with a kind smile. Lightly, her hand lands in his and she lifts her dress, exiting the carriage. Following her steps, I lean out, the light of morning sun, burning my sight and Wilfrid grabs my hand, in my blindness. His fingers grip securely around my trembling hand, and he somehow grounds me with the gesture.

Tall walls of stone, reflect the heat of the sun. A warmth filling me even on this ghastly day. Grass frames the stone path leading up the steps of the castle. Several soldiers wait, lined atop the steps, their eyes never once shift towards me. A man dressed in a well-fitted jacket and puffed sleeves stands before them. A broad smile spreads across his lips, flowing up into his eyes as he notices me looking at him.

Wilfrid leans in whispering, "That is Lord Henry, a kind son of nobility." My heart beats wildly against my chest. "Smile."

Forcing a smile to my face, the man stretches out his arms in a grand welcoming gesture. "Good morrow friends." He all but skips down the stairs and takes a deep bow before me. " And it is such a pleasure to be welcoming you, Princess Claire." A second bow, he places a hand over his heart and offers me his other.

Wilfrid is prepared for my reaction, he holds me still as I try to shrink back fearfully. Placing my hand in the Lord's, he passes me off to him and steps slightly away. The lord remains unmoving, and I stare at the soldiers behind him. Stiff as a board, they have yet to react. Kalen catches my attention and rolls his hand, gesturing for me to acknowledge the man.

My voice trembles weakly from my lips, "It's nice to meet you, Lord Henry."

Kissing the top of my hand, he looks up into my eyes. "Please, Henry will do fine. If it were not for your situation, we would have been childhood friends."

I swallow harshly. The man is quick to hit a sore spot, referring to my family as a 'situation,' and it doesn't sit well with me.

Tugging me forward, he glances to Kalen. "Please, follow me." Slipping my hand into his arm, he drags me up the stairs. "Your father has been waiting for you. Might I add you look regal, he will be very pleased."

Waiting? Pleased? This man is not the king I have learned of. Slowly, my mind fills with thoughts of Octavius' stories.

"P-pleased?" I stutter in disbelief.

"But of course, King Thaddeus has been waiting endlessly for your return." Everyone follows behind, and we march up the steps. My stomach twisting painfully, these are the steps the Captured Queen once took many years ago.

The doors open wide with the help of guards. The soldiers lined along the steps, turn on their heels and march behind our parade. Everyone remains utterly calm, but my heart pounds loudly in my ears. Entering through the door frame sends a shiver through me, the darkness from inside consuming me like an omen.

The foyer was a large open room, a roof raised by tree sized pillars. A banister parts the space above us in half, Curved stairs lead up to the second level where dozens of corridors begin. A grand door waits at the end of a hallway before us, tunnelling under the upper level.

"This here is the main foyer, up the staircase is the royal families quarters." He gestures towards the locations, and we walk under the balcony. "The door to the Great Hall," he explains, and we pass a wide set of double doors. "These are the portraits of your ancestors," he roars proudly. The wall is endless with frames and paintings. Each painting capturing a regal king or queen.

His steps slow and he points to a painting. "This here is-"

"Henry," Kalen gruffly cuts him off, and Henry smiles down at me continuing passed the painting.