Chapter 16 - Part 2

Pushing the door closed, I toss the lock into place. Pressing my back against the door, a sigh rumbles through me. Guilt sinks my stomach, Estella and Wilfrid have been here all day preparing me for the ball tomorrow. Running now will inevitably destroy the bonds we have grown. How can I do this to them?

Shaking the thought from my head, I place a hand to my lips. Tristan. I'm doing this for Tristan.

Opening the balcony doors, a cool breeze blows my hair around. Staring up at the stars, I smile. Are these the same stars that Tristan is looking at tonight? Where is he? There is so much more I have to consider before doing this, but I'm out of time. Finding Tristan or Octavius is near impossible for Kalen. Word will spread of my escape, if my mother tried to escape even after my birth, then Octavius is keeping an ear out, knowing I will try the same. Taking a brave breath in, I close my eyes. I just have to get out of here, and someone from the Northern Clan will find me.

Entering the warmth of the room, I take a sip of the now cold tea Estella had brought in. A calmness trickles across my limbs, and I tremble slightly. If I had grown up here, would I have ever known any of these people? Estella's devilish grin excited with our adventures into the attic and taunting Wilfrid. Wilfrid and his utter panic from my tears. Kalen surely would have his head if he were to blame. Clutching my hand to my chest, I cringe. Kalen. Cecile. Marcus. Why would a princess know a mercenary anymore then by reputation?

Shaking my head, I climb under the bedstead. Pulling out some clothes that I had convinced Estella to bring me. Never been much of a liar, but Estella was easy enough to fool. She wants me to be happy here more than anything. Would I have been happy? Rolling in the fields and gardens below. Trapped behind stone instead of forest with a crazed father and no Wilfrid to protect me. No, marriage to Kalen to save me from any of the king's decisions. Thaddeus will lose my mother all over again in my absence, he will hunt for me and make a big scene out of it. This I am counting on. Tristan needs to send for me when I'm on the other side of the castle walls.

Tugging the belt across my baggy shirt and vest, they hang over my hips with a feminine accent. The pants fit snug, perfect for climbing. Being raised in the forest, climbing trees has finally come to my advantage. Grabbing a ribbon, I tie my hair into a ponytail. Chuckling nervously, I smile. The King would not approve of his unladylike princess.

Dragging the blankets out, I finish the last of the knots. The fire raging with new logs placed to the side. Poor Wilfrid must have thought the castle freezing to my touch after all the blankets, I always begged for. Looking down over the ledge, I shiver. It's a longer drop than any of the trees I climbed.

A glow flutters across the fields carried by the patrolling guards, and I tie the blanket rope around the railing. Now, is my only chance, I can't look back now. Tossing the sheets over the ledge, I crawl up onto the ledge. Hanging over the edge, I take a last look into the room and hold my breath. My heart pounding loudly into my ears.

Goodbye, Wilfrid.

Climbing down, hand over hand, I dare not look to the gardens below. Preferably up to the balcony, that disappears into the night. A knot slips and the rope jolts down an inch. Squeezing the rope tightly, I close my eyes. The tearing of material ripples through the rest of the line. Racing against the strings praying apart under my pressure, I glance down. The garden no more than an uncomfortably awkward jump from my cottage roof. A leap I've done before. Tearing hisses in the air and I fling myself from the rope. Landing into a roll along the grass, I clutch my mouth, smothering my cry of pain.

Looking up to the balcony, the blanket flutters down to the grass patch below, and I smile. I actually did it! A glow of torches draws my attention, the echoing banter of soldiers fills the air. Crawling along the bushes of the garden, I peek out over the hedge. Still a distance away, they were none the wiser, but the wall is a good sprint from me. I can make it, I have to get as far as possible from the castle before they can see the blankets hanging in the air.

Taking a deep breath, my head pounds in a daze and I force myself to my feet. Bolting across the field, my legs smash into the ground, each leg stretching farther than before. My feet push me into the air, and I'm flying across the open field with arms outstretched. Slamming against the wall, I drop to the ground laying as still as possible.

Fire flickers from the torches and crackles loudly. The patrol guards rumble with laughter. My heart bursts inside my throat, and I quiver in silent prayer. Their voices fade into the distance, and they disappear behind a thick hedge.

The silhouette of a guard flickers across the glowing of torches high ontop the wall. Sifting through the grass, I grab a rock. One of many I had tossed over during a walk in the yard. My whole body trembles, Wilfrid had made a game out of it. A way to release my frustrations. Glancing back across the field, I hug myself. He will never forgive me, and I will never see him again. I'm almost done, there is no turning back now.

A narrow staircase leads me to the overhang of the battlement. Keeping low, I lean against the stone walls for cover. The guard's boots echo into the silence, his marching coming and going with the wind. What am I supposed to do now? I can't knock out a guard with a literal pebble. Across from me is a stack of spare torches waiting to be lit, a better option for a weapon, but he still has a sword and will see me coming.

My stomach tightens in discomfort, and I toss the pebble down the other end of the wall. Echoing through the silence, loud enough to be heard above the fires crackles. Searching in the darkness for the noise, the guard absently passes by. Lunging forward, I grab a torch, swinging it towards the guards exposed head. He crumples to the ground on contact, and his torch falls beside him, rolling away.

Gasping, dread washes over me. His limp body is motionless. Stumbling away from him, I drop my club. It clunks against the stones, echoing into the silence. Is he dead? Have I just killed a man! Princess or not, Thaddeus will have me executed for this. I've become worse than a traitor, I'm a murderer.

Taking a shaking step back, I whisper, "I'm so sorry." Turning my back on him, I focus on self-preservation. My heart hammers with distress. Wilfrid can't protect me from this. Leaning over the large slabs of stone, I gulp. Wind twists up the wall, wiping my hair into a frenzy. Echoes of water below splashing against the walls roar in warning. I didn't plan for this.

~Well she had most of it planned out. What should Chloe do next? Is the man really dead? What is going to happen? Leave a comment with your guess or wait and find out!~