One

October 1st 1989. 43 women have birth to 43 extraordinary children. I was one of those children. Eight of us were adopted and trained to be part of something called the Umbrella Academy. Our mentor, or 'dad' as some of us called him, was an eccentric billionaire named Sir Reginald Hargreeves. He was a cruel man to say the least. Had us train every day of the week. Getting us up early, not letting us play except for noon to half noon on a Saturday. He was tough to deal with. However I had my siblings to keep me company;

There was Number One: Luther. He had the power of super strength. Took on the role of the 'leader' in the group, naturally.

Number two: Diego. Very good with knives. A tough cookie, but really he's a momma's boy. He did take care of me. Always considered me as a great little sister. Even though we're all the same age.

Number three: Allison. Has the power to manipulate people, starting with the phrase "I heard a rumour..". She did trick me a lot as a kid.

Number four: Klaus. Has the power to talk to the deceased. I remember dad locking him up for several hours, possibly days, and trying to get Klaus over his fear of dead people. He did have a tendency to steal alcohol from Father's cabinet. Didn't get caught though.

Number Five. Has the power to time travel and jump through space. Meaning that he can practically teleport wherever he wants. He, unfortunately, never had a name. We all just called him Five. Him and I had some pretty good times together. Listening to music (quietly so Dad couldn't hear), eating peanut butter and marshmallow sandwiches and complaining about training. We were quite the pair.

However he went missing when we were 13. He got into an argument with Dad and he used his power to time travel. He didn't come back...

Number six: Ben. Has the ability to summon monsters through his skin. He usually summoned a monster with tentacles. Possibly a kraken. I remember him saying that it hurt him and he didn't want to do it very often. He was good friends with Klaus though. Sadly, Ben died during a mission. Allison blamed Luther for some reason, but I couldn't care less. My brother is gone.

Number seven: Vanya. Ordinary surprisingly. She couldn't come on missions with us which was sad. I felt really bad for her. She did like playing the violin though. I thought she was very talented, in her own way.

Then of course Number eight:Y/N. I have the power to turn invisible, move objects with my mind (AKA telekinesis) and read minds. I do have more than one power yes, but I think that's what made me stand out. I was an anomaly according to father. I didn't like training as much as Luther or Diego, but I also didn't hate it like Klaus. Instead I enjoyed using my powers for good. As long as I wasn't being pushed. Which never went down well because, you know, it's my dad.

I had a good relationship with most of my siblings. Five in particular. We got along really well. When he disappeared I didn't know what to do. I was in denial for at least the first three years. I left out peanut butter and marshmallow sandwiches for him and Vanya left on the lights. I compelled myself into thinking that he was going to swiftly come through the front door, wave at us and eat the sandwiches. However that day never came.

Now we all have moved out of that hell hole we used to call home. I never really know what my siblings are up to. Except for Allison. She became a famous actress, got married and had a kid. She lost custody to the father though... I read the news.

I heard that Luther was sent to live on the moon, which I'm sure is going great for him.

Klaus is probably in rehab again. All the drinking and the drugs are just polluting his body so much. I feel bad.

Diego could still be in the police team, if his stubborn ass hasn't gotten himself kicked off the force yet.

Vanya is probably still living in her small studio apartment.  Practicing violin. Living the small life.

Where am I? Oh well I became a videogame designer. Disappointing for my dad (if he even cared) but it was a good job. Plus I get to work from home most days. I'm kind of an introvert. I live in an apartment in a quiet neighbourhood. Close to town and not too far away from the Academy. I'd say I've got a pretty good life.

That is, until I got the call.

"Good morning Miss Y/N."
"Pogo?"
"Yes it is. I'm just calling to inform you of the passing of your father. I'm terribly sorry I know this must be a lot to take in. However the funeral is in two days. I'd like you and your siblings to come to the Academy for the service."
I stood in shock for a minute, but then sighed. The old man was dead. Finally.

"Thanks Pogo. I will see you soon."
"Goodbye Miss Y/N."

I began packing my things. I'm going to see my family again. And mum. Oh god. Dad's dead.

And it's about fucking time.

Hey! I hoped you liked the first chapter. Let me know why you think! ~Luna 💞