Chapter 27

"Please tell me those aren't what I think they are."

Everyone stays silent, Clarke knows the answer to her question. 

Octavia and Jasper--who has now made a full recovery thanks to Clarke--were outside the wall when Jasper tripped and fell to the ground, finding Wells' fingers that were cut off from him the night he died, along with the knife that was used to do it.

Octavia went straight to Bellamy, who then rounded up Clarke and I into his tent, and now the five of us are here, staring down at two of Wells' fingers.

Clarke picks the knife up from the table, examining it. I instantly know what she's about to say, it's clear from looking at the knife about how it was made and from the metal it was used. 

"This knife was made of metal from the drop ship."

I stand up straight and fold my arms across my chest, my eyes drawn to a spot on the ground. This isn't good.

"What do you mean?" Jasper asks, a scared look in his eyes.

"Who else knows about this?" Bellamy asks.

"No one." Octavia answers, "We brought it straight here."

"Clarke?" Jasper whispers, freaking out about what she meant earlier about the knife metal.

"It means the Grounders didn't kill Wells. It was one of us." She tells him.

"So there's a murderer in the camp?"

My entire body freezes. I inhale a sharp breath at his words and shuffle on my feet awkwardly, Bellamy glances at me briefly before inclining his head to the camp outside. 

"There's more than one murderer in this camp." He inhales and shakes his head. "This isn't news. We need to keep it quiet."

I frown down at the table, unsure whether I agree or not. Sure, keeping it quiet will keep things going as usual with no disturbances, but on the other hand someone killed Wells and framed the Grounders. I get Wells wasn't the most liked person here, but that doesn't mean whoever did this can just walk free, especially now we know it was someone here. 

But then again, you don't just kill someone for no reason, Wells was unliked by everyone because of who his father is, but I'm not sure that justifies killing him. 

I look up as Clarke moves around me, but Bellamy blocks her from leaving. 

"Get out of my way, Bellamy." She hisses, I look down and see the knife in her hand, her fingers clenched tightly around it as she faces Bellamy. 

"Clarke, be smart about this. Look at what we've achieved...the wall, the patrols. Like it or not, thinking the Grounders killed Wells is good for us."

"Good for you, you mean." She scoffs, not buying what he has to say. "What, keep people afraid and they'll work for you? Is that it?"

"Yeah that's it." He nods. 

"Dial it down, guys." I sigh, fed up of all of this.

"Oh, so now you speak up." Clarke glares at me and I glare right back.

"Back off, Clarke." I stand up straight and face her. "You don't wanna start with me. I get you're upset, but you don't wanna go out there guns blazing with the only lead being a knife that could belong to any one of those kids. And for all we know, it still could have been a Grounder that killed Wells, using one of our knives to pit us against each other."

"She's right, okay? It's good for all of us. Fear of the Grounders is building that wall. And besides, what are you gonna do...just walk out there and ask the killer to step forward? You don't even know whose knife that is--if like Carter said, it even was someone in camp."

"Oh really?" Clarke raises an eyebrow and looks between us, lifting up the knife to show us two initials carved into the metal. I sigh instantly and close my eyes. "J.M. John Murphy. The people have a right to know."

Murphy. Of Course. 

I don't try and stop her as Clarke pushes past us and out of the tent, but we do follow her out there. 

This changes everything. It still could've been a Grounder using the knife, but the fact that it's Murphy's knife slims those chances by a mile, and increases the chances of Clarke being right. 

Out of everyone in camp Murphy had the worst relationship with Wells, and he's hardly been sympathetic about his death.

But then again, if Murphy really DID kill Wells, then why would he leave his knife there for somebody to find?