Chapter 34

"Chris!' Finn yells, I see him move forward but Clarke tries to hold him back.

"Let her go, Murphy." Bellamy says lowly, his hand gripped firmly on his axe as he takes a step forward.

"Murphy, don't do this." Clarke tries to reason.

"Shut up or I will slit her throat!" Murphy yells at them and they stay quiet.

"Go ahead!" I yell back, clenching my jaw and gripping his arm that holds me. "Go ahead and do it then!"

"You're such a bitch, you know that Carter?" Murphy hisses as me.

"Let her go, Murphy!" Finn pushes Clarke away and surges forward to attack Murphy but he dodges out of the way and Finn stands before us angrily.

"Finn, stop." I tell him, sucking in a breath as the blade cuts nearer to my throat, the continuing to trickling down my neck as I struggle to breathe against the pressure and the stinging pain.

"No please!" Charlotte cries out. "Please don't hurt her."

I look over at her and Bellamy and see him with his eyes wide, glancing between us desperately, trying to come up with a plan.

"Don't hurt her?" Murphy asks and I wriggle in his grip. "Okay, I'll make you a deal. You come with me right now, I will let her go."

"No!" I yell in frustration immediately. "Charlotte don't you dare! You stay right there, okay?!"

The moment I get out of Murphy's grip I swear to god he is dead.

A scared and sad look crosses Charlotte's face and I instantly know what she's going to do.

"Don't do it Charlotte." I tell her, "I'm fine okay, just stay there!" She steps forward. "Bellamy stop her!" Bellamy holds his arm out and tries to keep Charlotte back but she fights against him.

"No! No I have to!"

She tries to fight Bellamy but he holds her still firmly and turns to Murphy and I, a hard look on his face as he glares at Murphy.

"Murphy, this is not happening. Just let Carter go."

"I didn't want any of this to happen." Charlotte sobs.

"Charlotte!" I call. "Charlotte, it's okay. You're okay. You didn't mean to do it, we know that. And Murphy knows you didn't mean for him to get the blame, he's just being a total ass about it." I hiss the last bit and groan as his grip tightens.

"I can't let any of you get hurt anymore." Charlotte says quietly, her voice has a far off sound to it and she looks right at me as she speaks."Not because of me. Not after what I did."

I suddenly get a horrible feeling, and my suspicion was right, because Charlotte turns and jumps off the cliff, cascading down into the depths below.

"No!" Bellamy yells.

Murphy's grip is loosened considerably due to shock, and I push away from him and run to the cliff where Charlotte just stepped off.

"CHARLOTTE!"

"No! No, no, no!" Clarke appears next to me, and Bellamy wraps and arm around my waist as I scream and watch her fall.