Chapter 98

Bellamy abruptly pulls away from me and I instantly start to panic.

Did I do something wrong? Have I just completely fucked this all up?

Who am I kidding, of course I did.

I mean, what the fuck were you thinking, Carter? You can't just kiss Bellamy like that.

Multiple excuses for my actions start to race through my mind as I take a hesitant step away from him. "Shit, Bellamy I—"

"Shh," Bellamy turns his head and stares at the camp gate with an intense look on his face. I frown at his action but nevertheless, strain my ears to pick up whatever it is he can hear. My face and heart both drop when the faint pounding of drums starts slowly advancing towards us from the distance.

"They're here!" Someone in camps yells, fear seeping into their voice as they too hear the war drums headed our way.

"Go inside," Bellamy orders without even looking at me, stepping away and swinging his gun around his body to his front.

If it weren't for the impending doom of our death in that moment, I would've marvelled at how hot that move was.

I start to follow after him helplessly, completely disregarding what occurred between us moments ago. "No, Bell...I-I can help." I abruptly halt when Bellamy spins to face me.

"Chris," he says my name so firmly yet so quietly, his warm eyes staring so deeply into mine that I, just for a brief moment, forget to breathe. "For once—just once—will you do as I say. Please?"

My eyes shift between his until I slowly nod. I never thought I'd ever hear Bellamy plead
like that, to his sister maybe, but not me. He hesitates, his eyes quickly scanning my face as if looking for any sign of defiance from me. When he finds none, he nods, accepting my answer.

I watch his retreating figure jog away and climb through the fox hole with the other gunners, then I turn to make my way into the drop ship to see if I can be of any use to Clarke and Raven, trying to push back the feeling that this may have been the last time I ever see Bellamy Blake alive again.

Before I even manage to reach the drop ship, Finn—clever and plan oriented Finn—catches my eye. I falter, watching him as he sneaks out of the drop ship and through the back of camp and out into the wild—without a gun.

What the fuck is he doing? Even if he didn't hear the drums, the sudden chaos around camp is enough to know that now is not the time to be running off, and he of all people knows that it isn't safe out there for us.

I glance around camp, Bellamy has disappeared already and everyone else is too busy panicking and scrambling around to notice Finn leave...which also means they also don't notice me following after him.

"Collins!" I hiss with a stern look on my face. Finn spins to face me with surprise. Clearly he thought he'd snuck out of camp without being noticed. "What the hell are you doing?" I snap at him, any attempt to be quiet gone. "Are you trying to get yourself killed? Again?"

"Go back to camp, Chris. It isn't safe out here." Finn turns away from me.

"No," I grab ahold of his arm to get him to stop and turn to me. "You hear that Finn? Those are war drums. The Grounders are almost here and you're sneaking out of camp? What the hell is going on?"

"Go back to camp, Chris." Finn says with finality.

"No." I say firmly, glaring at him with both confusion and betrayal. "Are you leaving? What, going to war wasn't on your agenda for Earth so you're running away? Leaving all of us behind? Raven and Clarke? Me?"

"I'm not leaving." Finn snaps, offended that I would even suggest such a thing. He sighs before continuing. "Raven's in a bad way. She needs medicine that Lincoln has, otherwise..."

Otherwise, she could die. He doesn't say it, but the pain in his eyes says it all.

"I'm going with you." I say with finality.

Raven, despite our ups and downs, is my best friend, and I'm not going to sit around and watch her die while Finn risks his own life to save her. And despite their differences, despite the fact Finn is now with Clarke, he'll always care about Raven and will do anything to protect her...and me.

"Your arm—"

"Is fine," I cut Finn off, my left fist clenching in it's makeshift sling, "Raven isn't. Let's go."

Finn hesitates, but against his better judgement, leads the way to Lincoln's cave.

i just wanted to say a huge thank you to you all for sticking by this book and myself! i know you've been waiting a long time for this chapter.

i'm currently in my final year at university which is why i've been too busy to focus on writing and i apologise for that, but i'd like to thank you for the kind comments that you make! i read every single one and appreciate every like on a chapter, despite not having the time to reply to them all :)

please bear with me as i have a lot going on right now, but i promise that this book will be finished, and once it is, it will be going through major editing to give you guys the best that i can give!

again, thank you so much, i hope this was worth the wait.

what chaos do you think finn and chris are going to get up to??

stay safe x