Chapter 31

I glance down at mine and Bellamy's joined hands.

What the hell is he holding my hand for? Now is not the right time for him to make a move on me.

"Well, well, look who decided to join us." Murphy strides towards us as Bellamy and I emerge from his tent. He's covered in dirt and blood, his face is completely battered and he walks with a slight limp.

No wonder he's pissed off.

"Dial it down and back off." Bellamy tells him, his voice hard as he tries to take authority again.

"Or what?" Murphy asks, stepping closer. "What are you gonna do Bellamy? Hang me?"

"Murphy," I begin, clenching my jaw, "look just, back off okay? Let us handle Charlotte."

Murphy looks at me and studies me, and I narrow my eyes at his scrutinising gaze.

"You know for a moment there Carter, I thought you would be on my side." He looks down at mine and Bellamy's intertwined hands, "Guess I was wrong. But it's not surprising you teamed up with the actual murderer. Hey, maybe you guys can start a little girls' murdering club."

Bellamy squeezes my hand when he feels me tense and he hardens his gaze.

Despite the current situation I can't help but feel afraid that Bellamy just worked out the true meaning of Murphy's words. I mean, the guy isn't stupid, but his lack of a reaction is what scares me.

"I was just giving the people what they wanted." Bellamy tells him truthfully. Murphy looks at him and smirks.

"Yeah. Yeah, that's a good idea, why don't we do that right now?" Murphy turns to the crowd, "So who here wants to see the real murderer hung up? All in favour?"

He along with a handful of other guys lift their hands up in the air and I suddenly feel a weight lifted off my shoulders, knowing it was just Murphy and his crew that want Charlotte to pay, and not the whole camp.

I physically sigh in relief and feel Bellamy squeeze my hand once again.

Murphy puts his hand down, deflated, "I see. So it's okay to string me up for nothing, but when this little bitch confesses, you wanna let her walk?!"

Anger pulses through me at his words and I try to take a step forward towards him, but Bellamy pulls me back via our hands.

"Cowards! All of you are-"

"Hey, MURPHY!" Bellamy steps forward now, letting go of my hand as he does in an attempt to keep me where I was. "Murphy, it's over."

Murphy lifts his arms up slightly, in a half ass shrug. "Whatever you say, boss."

Bellamy turns to walk back and I narrow my eyes. He gave up pretty quickly. My eyes then widen the size of small planets when Murphy grabs a log and hits Bellamy over the head with it, knocking him to the ground unconscious.

Octavia starts to scream and lunges forward but Jasper holds her back. I wince when I look down at Bellamy still on the ground, but when I see Murphy walk back to his crew I quickly turn and sprint into Bellamy's tent.

I stand in shock when I enter the tent, the empty tent.

I swivel around as if Clarke, Finn and Charlotte are just hiding somewhere--even though there is literally no where to hide--but I stop short when I see a giant tear made at the back of the tent.

Murphy storms in and looks around, seeing the shocked look on my face that soon turns to a glare. He snarls and leaves the tent again with me quickly following him.

"Charlotte!" He yells. "Charlotte, I know you can hear me! And when I find you, you are gonna pay!" I leave the tent just as Murphy and his crew leave the camp, torches in hand as the sky starts to grow dark.

"What the hell is going on?!" Octavia asks as she crouches beside an unconscious Bellamy.

"Charlotte's gone." I say as I grab Bellamy's axe from his side. He won't need it and I'll feel better going up against Murphy with two. "Clarke and Finn have taken her, I'm going to find them before Murphy does."

"I'm coming with you."

"No." I tell her firmly as I stand, "Stay with your brother, he needs you."

"I-I'll come with you." Jasper says, I look at him and give him a small smile but shake my head.

"This is something I need to do myself."

He nods and I spare one last glance down at Bellamy before running out of the camp gate and into the trees.