Chapter 96

A group of gunners lead the group through the gate and into the forest. I hang back with Clarke as we make sure everyone leaves. I see her looking into the camp at someone and follow her gaze to where Bellamy stands, looking around at the home we built. Clarke walks over to him but I clench my jaw and look down at the ground, following behind the others.

I know Octavia said that Bellamy was worried about me and I understand why, I had put myself into a stupid situation that could've gotten us both killed, so I think it's best if he and I avoid each other while we can.

The thought of not speaking to Bellamy actually hurts though, and I know I can't ignore him forever, not if I'm going to stick to my new promise of facing the consequences of my actions.

Due to my thoughts consuming my mind, I don't even notice when everyone stops walking and end up bumping into the person ahead of me who jumps and spins around, gun aimed at me before they lower it.

"Woah, easy," I mumble at Harper. "Why've we stopped?"

"No idea," she whispers, looking around us.

"GROUNDERS!"

The panic in Jasper's voice reaches my ears and when everyone turns tail and runs back to camp. I follow after, my left arm bumps against my body with all the movement and the impact is a continuous flare of pain. I try to push it away.

The Grounders are here. They're going to kill us all.

When I'm past the gate I stop beside Bellamy who ushers everyone in.

"You okay?" He asks when the last people are inside. I nod before he jumps past me and up onto the wall, gun aimed as he looks out into the woods.

I look around the camp, eyes wide when I notice Drew's body placed on the ground, a knife lodged into his head and everyone panicking. Finn passes Raven off to someone and she's taken to the drop ship, Clarke stands next to Bellamy looking out in the woods.

We are so screwed.

"Lincoln said the scouts would be the first to arrive," Clarke says to Finn.

"If it's just scouts we can fight our way out." Octavia says, stepping forward. "That's what Lincoln would do."

"We're done doing what that Grounder would do." Bellamy jumps down from the wall. "We tried it and now Drew is dead, you want to be next?"

"'That Grounder' saved our lives." Finn says, "I agree with Octavia. For all we know there's one scout out there."

"One scout with insanely good aim." Jasper inputs.

"Yeah, or there could be dozens of them." I say.

"Clarke, we could still do this." Octavia looks up at Clarke hopefully.

"Looking at you princess," Bellamy says to Clarke, "what's it gonna be? Run and get picked off out in the open, or stand and fight back?"

We all look up at Clarke expectantly, it's a heavy decision to make. She turns and looks out over the wall again before sighing and getting down.

"Clarke," Finn grabs her arm, "if we're still here when Tristan gets here—"

"Lincoln said scouts," Clarke cuts him off, making me wonder if this Tristan person is in charge of the Grounders, "more than one. He said, 'get home before the scouts arrive.' Finn, they're already here." She spins to face Bellamy, "looks like you've got your fight."

"Okay then," Bellamy projects his voice for the entire camp to hear. "This is what we've been preparing for. Kill them before they kill us. Gunners, to your posts. Use the tunnels to get in and out. From now on, this gate stays closed."

Everyone runs off to their positions and I'm left standing like a fool. I can't hold a gun with my arm in a sling.

"Where do you need me?" I ask to Bellamy.

He looks at me and shakes his head, "Dropship."

"Dropship?" I furrow my eyebrows. "I can—"

"Your arm is in a sling, Carter. You're not gonna be any use on the wall or in the fox holes. You should wait inside with Raven where it's safe."

I'm not sure what hurts me more, the fact Bellamy just said I'm currently useless—which yes, I am—or that he called me Carter, which he hasn't done in a long time.

"O. O—O! You're not a gunner," Bellamy quickly gets distracted by his sister and grabs her arm to stop her from running off.

"No, I'm not." She tells him. "Like you said," she lifts up her blade she presumably got from Lincoln. "I'm a Grounder."

hiii, i hope everyone's doing okay!!

i'd really appreciate it if you guys could check out a new book i'm working on, it's called 'queen of the track' and i've uploaded the first few chapters!!!

i'm really nervous about it so any support would be great! thank you :) x