Chapter 90

"MURPHY!"

My disheartening thoughts are broken by who other than Bellamy Blake himself, running across the camp and throwing aside a cup of water. I stand up just in time to see the drop ship door rising up out of reach as Bellamy gets there. My frown quickly morphs into a shocked expression as I run over with others.

We haven't closed that door since we arrived here.

"What the hell is going on?" I ask as I rush to stand beside Bellamy.

"Murphy! Open the damn door!"

"You try to be a hero," Murphy calls from inside, "Jasper dies!"

The door closes, sealing us out of the drop ship. Bellamy turns to face me with an angry, hard look on his face. "Murphy has Jasper."

"Fuck," I seethe. Here I was thinking Murphy had turned over a new leaf. "How did this happen? I thought you were in there."

Does anything else want to go wrong today?

Bellamy ignores me and turns around, running a frustrated hand down is face as he starts to pace. I look over at him curiously.

He is beyond stressed about the oncoming grounder attack, adding psycho Murphy to the mix isn't going to help anyone.

"Bellamy." I say, trying to get his attention. He stares down at the ground, and I know him well enough to tell that his mind is trying to work out a plan. "Bell," I step towards him and place a hand on his arm, earning his attention, "we'll get him out. Murphy won't hurt him without a reason."

Bellamy nods. "We have to find a way inside. Through the back maybe," Bellamy says quietly before looking around at everyone standing behind us, as if suddenly realising they're there, "get back to work!"

Hardly anyone moves, but Bellamy doesn't seem to care as he runs a hand over his face again and looks at the drop ship.

"What's happening?" Raven asks as she comes over. I fold my arms across my chest and pace, Raven watching me closely.

"Murphy locked himself in there with Jasper."

"Damn." Raven whispers as she looks up at the drop ship.

"Mines done?"

"Yeah."

"Good." Bellamy sighs. "I need you to have a look around the ship," Bellamy tells her, "see if there's any loose panels we can move to get inside. Stay quiet. Don't do anything without my say so."

Raven nods and runs off to the back like instructed, and I stop pacing and face Bellamy.

"We have to find out what the bastard wants." Bellamy says to me. "We don't have time for this."

"Isn't it obvious?" I say to him. "He doesn't have beef with Jasper it's with us."

I had found Murphy's acceptance of my apology rather odd. If someone had screwed me over with a murder I didn't commit and leading me to get tortured and pegged with a brutal, murderous virus...I wouldn't be so quick to forgive them either.

But...I wasn't actually the one to blame him for Wells' death, that was Clarke. Connor was the one to suggest floating him, ending with him being hanged and—oh my god. Connor had been healing fine from the virus until he suddenly died...Clarke has been taken by grounders and is presumably dead...

They're the two people who pushed Murphy's downfall. The only other person to—in a figurative and literal sense—tie the noose, or in this case push the chair...was Bellamy.

Bellamy looks at me and eventually nods in agreement. "When we find a way to get inside, I'll bargain myself for Jasper. I don't want you involved." He watches me for a second when I don't reply, his face falling. "You've figured it out."

I look up at Bellamy, a realisation overcoming me. "He'll kill you if you go in there."

Bellamy nods slowly, "I know."

My face softens and my voice lowers, "Bell—"

"It has to happen, Chris." His eyes never leave mine, his voice quiet so the surrounding teens don't hear us. "Once it does, you're the only one in charge."

I start to shake my head but Bellamy carries on, "these kids need you to lead them against the Grounders...or we're all dead, and everything we've built would have been for nothing."

I swallow thickly and slowly nod. These kids really would be doomed if I was the only one capable of leading them, but it isn't about me, and now isn't the time for an argument that's in Bellamy's favour. Even I know that nothing good will come of it. Bellamy however, is stunned by my co-operation.

"You feeling okay?"

I look up at him to see him frowning at me. "I'm fine, why?"

"You're not arguing with me."

I scoff and resist rolling my eyes, "seriously? Even I know that now isn't the time for a pointless argument between us. I think we've had enough to last a lifetime."

"Can't disagree with that," he mumbles with a small smirk before he turns serious again. "I'll try to fight against Murphy...but I don't think I'll be coming out of this alive unless Raven finds a way inside."

"She will," I nod firmly, more so to myself than him. "You're not dying today, Blake. Not if I can help it."