Chapter 8

It was the ball/charity/awkward date day.

I did a lot of thinking last night, about Ashton. Camilla was right.

I've never seen Ashton behave like how I always assumed he behaved, towards his family.

Whenever I went over to Liam's house during our senior year, I knew Ashton was there when Mr Holloway looked distraught. Or like he'd been screaming at someone for the past hour. And I've always been right. I didn't know why, I always thought he was different from the other Holloway children because he was adopted.

But what would I know? they hardly talked about him after a certain point. He was rarely home, and when he was, he'd always have a beer bottle in his hands or a cigarette or a blunt between his lips.

Hannah lent me her prom gown. Since I had no idea, I was supposed to attend a fucking ball, I didn't pack anything special. It was a long turquoise strapless gown.

She seemed to have forgotten about the argument we had that day. It's like it never happened. Either that or she had perfected the art of passive aggressiveness when she left my dress messily on the floor, in front of my room.

Even if that was the case, eh, I deserved it.

I was already running late and deep down, I was also hoping they would just leave without me. But I couldn't help but think of Mr Holloway. He'd be upset if I backed out the last minute and he's the last person I ever want to let down.

I curled my hair and made it wavy, applied slightly heavier makeup that my usual and slipped into a pair of silver heels. I reluctantly left my room and came down the stairs, only to realize everyone was just hanging out in the living room.

Was the plan cancelled?

"Viv, over here." Camilla called from the kitchen.

God damn, she looked stunning.

Her beautiful locks were shining and her makeup was perfect. She was wearing a gold and copper strapless dress that wrapped perfectly around her body. I walked towards her as she took a sip of her wine.

"Hi."

Her eyes darted towards me and she seemed like she was about to spit her drink.

"Jesus, Viv." She gasped, blinking at me. "You look so beautiful!"

I was starting to wonder where that obligatory compliment went.

"Thank you." I blushed. "Not so bad yourself, I feel like I'm standing next to JLo."

She laughed and gently hit my shoulder with hers.

Why aren't we leaving?"

"We're waiting for Theo. He's driving the limo."

A Limo. Nice.

Adding that onto my list of the fanciest things that has happened to me. Right below Wendy's and right above chauffeur with fancy name sign.

We leaned against the counter and just waited.

The Holloway brothers were insanely attractive that evening. They were both in tuxes. TUXES!

Ashton had always been attractive but him looking all groomed up made him look even more attractive. Hannah wore a beautiful white short slip dress that showed off her perfect figure. Camilla's husband, Robbie, and her son, Flynn were also in the living room. Flynn had gorgeous blue eyes, soft curly hair and her husband looked like an Abercrombie and Fitch model.

Bless the Holloway family.

"Alright everyone!" Richard got off the sofa. "Got a text from Theo and he has just arrived, where is Viv and Cami-Oh there they are." He turned around and grinned at the both of us.