Chapter 19

I kept running to I don't even know where. I didn't have a destination, as long as there was a road, I ran to wherever it took me. My heart pounded to the beat of my feet racing against the hard ground as I panted and gasped my cries. The image of Liam knocking out Jay kept replaying over and over in my mind I couldn't knock it off. I squeezed my eyes shut and when I opened them again, I came to a halt. Christ, I nearly ran into a pole.

I held onto my knees and fought for my breath. My lungs and throat were burning and the crying only made it difficult for me to breathe.

I looked up a few seconds later and realized I was at a bus stop. It was empty and it was smacked right in the middle of two forests, one up ahead and one behind me.

Jesus, where the hell was I?

I dragged my feet towards the seats of the bus stop and slumped down on them. Suddenly, running away didn't seem like a good idea anymore. The place was awfully quiet and cold and nobody else was there. The loneliness sure as hell didn't make my situation any better.

Hours passed and I just sat there, leaning my head against the wall beside me.

I started to feel numb. I wasn't upset anymore, but I didn't feel any better either. I spent the rest of the time just watching cars and busses ocassionally pass by, waiting for the right time to head back. Hell, I never wanted to go back.

My phone vibrated in my jeans a few seconds later and my eyes expanded at the caller ID.

"Jay? Are you okay? How's your wound?"

"Viv, relax I told you I'm fine. It's just a scratch."

I breathed out in relief and briefly closed my eyes. "What did your husband say?"

"He got worried at first but I just told him I fell. Okay enough about me, where are you?"

"Why? is Camilla asking for me?"

"Yes she's worried, Viv. She tried calling you so many times."

I sighed inwardly. "Yeah I know. Just didn't feel like talking to her. Could you tell her I'm okay? and that I'll be back later? I just need some time alone."

There was a pause.

"You're alone?"

"Yeah, why?"

"It's getting late you should head back."

Sheesh, he was starting to sound like my mother.

"Jay, I'm a grown woman."

"I know you are but danger doesn't care if you're grown or not. Just head back as soon as possible, please?"

"Fine."

"I'll call in ten minutes to check again and you better be on your way back."

I rolled my eyes. "Yes mum"

"Good. I'll call you later then."

I ended the call and switched off my phone.

Can't a girl get some time alone in this place?

The sound of a car horning in the distance startled me awake and my eyes flew open to meet black, cloudless skies. I leaned away from the brick wall and winced at the stiff neck it gave me. I glanced at my watch.

God, can't believe I slept for 5 hours...

I think the long nap helped. I didn't feel like ripping the skin off my face anymore so I guess that was sign I should head back.