🖤chapter 1 - two birds, one stone🖤

"hmm, this doesn't look right." elliott sighed as he examined a faulty section on his holographic gear.

tapping his boot clad foot impatiently against the tiled floor beneath him, he searched around his lab for a solution. frantically, his eyes drifted from one wall to another; his mother's blueprints paired with his crazy ideas spread across them like wildfires.

"none of these seem to match, what the fuck do i do?" he groaned, taking a prolonged gaze at his holographic tech upon the table.

"no one's gonna get bamboozled by this piece of shit." he muttered in frustration, rolling his eyes at his inability to find a solution.

with that, he decided enough was enough for the day and set his tools aside, grabbing the holographic gear from the workbench and setting it in a glass cupboard across the lab. with a deep breath, he gazed at the tech he had been working on for months then exhaled slowly.

he really needed a drink.

upon exiting the lab he gave a nonchalant wave to a few of his acquaintances at his holographic tech lab then sighed and picked up the pace.

"the frontier will never accept me if my holograms are faulty, that's dumb." he blurted out, flailing his arms in frustration, stomping his feet along the dusty cracked sidewalk, overgrowth beginning to snake through at his combat boots.

"what's dumb, mate?" a cheery voice arose immediately in question.

he jumped, startled by the sudden voice beside him. turning he quickly examined a girl who walked beside him with her arms crossed loosely, bouncing from side to side slightly.

"um, who are you can i ask?" he questioned trying to not sound too harsh, but her butting in was kind of rude to him.

"ma name's ajay, but ma buddies and the local villagers call me Lifeline." she replied in her bubbly jamaican accent, a cheeky grin upon her face.

he cracked a smile uncontrollably at her seemingly chilled, lighthearted personality.

"so tell me, what's the matter with your so called "holograms?"" she asked curiously as they proceeded down the street.

elliott gazed up at the moonlight spilling across the abandoned city and the outlands in the distance. he took a deep breathe once more then spoke:

"well, i'm working on making them so accurate to my physique that they could fool even the smartest of eggheads," he began, ajay chuckled.

"but you see, there's something missing and i can't quite put my finger on it." he explained further biting his lip, ajay nodding in response.

he took a second to examine her further. her deep pink hair was tied into two small buns on either side if her head, with a bandana wrapped around also. she work a tank top and some baggy pants also. she appeared pretty laidback and chilled.

"well you see, mate, maybe i can drop by tomorrow and see what i can do." she suggested eagerly. "i know we just met, but i'm thinking i can help you." she explained with a grin.

"sure, that would be nice of you. you know where the lab is right?" he asked with a smile.

"i do, i'll stop by tomorrow morning, see you then." she informed with a cheeky wink.

"sweet. well, i'm off to the bar. fancy a couple drinks? on me." he offered with hopefulness lingering in his tone.

"i'm all good, friend. i best be heading off. see ya." she bid farewell then began her bouncing steps further down the street.

he chuckled then stopped once he approached the old bar. the chipped paint, rotted wood and cracked windows told the story of this dystopian land.

once lively and lush, now ghostly and dirty. the frontier war really did a number on this city he called home, now its just a salvation for the people who no longer have homes and those who were unfortunately trapped there.

upon shoving the front doors open, a flier that was once held by a thumbtack had floated to the ground. curious, he kneeled down to examine it. it read:

the frontier needs squads. adventurers, scientists, mercenaries; anyone with skill is welcome. great rewards for provided tasks. seek local enrolment and training centre for more details.

suddenly, he killed two birds with one stone; a way to repair his faulty holograms and have something interesting to use them for.