🖤chapter 4 - fascinating enrolment🖤

with a spring in his step, fashioned with his perfect holographic gear, elliott walked beside his newfound companion excited for a new change to his repetitive lab life.

"say elli, why do ya wanna join the frontier so bad?" ajay asked curiously as the distance to the recruiting office drew closer.

he took a moment, staring at his feet as he walked, pondering all the fantastic adventures he could get up to after joining.

"the truth is, i just long for that thrill in life. i wanna adventure, kill some dumbasses and get some cash, but i also wanna make my mother proud using the technology we worked on for so long." he answered with passion, he truly dreamed of this for most of his life.

"you've already made her proud, 'member me tell you. now you're bout to make her even more proud." she reminded, patting him on the shoulder fondly.

"i just wanna say thank you, ajay. it's only been a couple days but i feel like i've known you forever." he smiled, eyes getting watery.

"of course, elli. i am excited to join you on your search for glory, i wouldn't mind some sweet rewards myself." she chuckled nudging his arm with her elbow.

•••••

after another five minutes or so of walking, they finally began to approach the office. excitement and anxiety rushed through elliott's body as he gazed at the giant training centre behind, propaganda posters of competitors and winners pasted the walls in an abundance of bright colours.

"this is it. i'm practically dying of antic- antip- anpit- anticipate- you know what forget it." he stuttered in awe of the magnificent building.

ajay chuckled, shaking her head as they approached the front doors. pushing them open, they stepped inside, examining the room around them.

much like the exterior, it was littered in posters and signs that were messily hung up with pins and tape, peeling from the cream coloured walls. in front of them was the front desk, nothing fancy, with a receptionist seated behind granting them a soft smile. behind the desk were some glass panels, in which seamed to be windows to a waiting area of some sort.

as they neared the desk, something caught elliott's eye behind the glass. a person or creature or some combination sat peacefully on a bench, hands resting on their lap, gazing through the glass inanimately. he felt startled, extremely anxious as they made some sort of eye contact (or so he believed). they wore what seemed to be a type of jungle military uniform, covered in feathers and pouches and multiple straps to secure everything in place. upon their face was a mysterious gas mask of some sort, hypnotising elliott's entranced eyes from the two rounded lenses that were tinted black and the layers of feathers and leaves covering the mask, to the dangling beads upon their helmet. he was truly fascinated. they appeared almost holy, a godlike creature.

snapping out of his trance, his captivated eyes averted their gaze to ajay who was almost done enrolling herself with the receptionist. once handed what seemed to be an id badge, she was told to head into the waiting area where that fascinating person was seated.

"i'll see ya in a sec." she said to him as she proceeded through the security gate and into the waiting area.

"next, you sir." the receptionist called with a smile.

"oh, yes yes." he chuckled awkwardly then scooted towards the desk, leaning upon it with his elbow, sneaking tiny glances at the mystery being behind the glass. he could have sworn he was being watched by them, it made him feel uneasy.

after filling out his details and abilities, he was soon handed a badge like ajay's in which he was told to go through and take a seat. nervously, he stepped through the security gate shaking, then pushed open the glass panelled door, fearing being watched by that being as he entered.

he soon spotted ajay, sighing in relief, but soon realised she was sitting directly opposite the mystery person, facing them. he screamed internally as he made his way over to her, tripping over his own feet as per usual. he took a quick glance at them and to his luck, they were staring straight at him, head rotating slowly with his movement, similar to that of an owl.

"h-hey." he shakily breathed out as he sat beside ajay.

"hello again, everything alright?" she questioned noticing his abnormal shaking.

"j-just a bit nervous th-that's all." he stuttered, taking a deep breath, his boot clad feet bouncing against the tiled floor rapidly in tiny paces. he couldn't help but sneak more glances at the masked person, who only returned an intense stare through their mask.

"you'll be alrigh-" she was interrupted suddenly by the booming voice of a giant man entering the waiting area.

"alright listen up! we've sorted all of you into squads and if you ain't happy, you can get the fuck out, got it!" he yelled in a stern, commander-like voice.

everyone's attention snapped towards him. he began to list nicknames of different people in the waiting room. since it would be easier to identify people, the frontier decides that nicknames would be used.

"alright! last squad: lifeline, mirage and... bloodhound." he announced. "good luck, i'll meet you at training tomorrow morning at nine. be there or be square." he informed sternly, crossing his arms with authority. "head over to Christine's office just south from here and she'll sort you into dorms."

and with that, he left the room. ajay gave a beaming smile to elliott as they managed to land on the same squad. elliott returned the smile, but looked around curiously to spot their third member.

"so you went for mirage, huh? that's smart." she teased poking his shoulder. he giggled in response.

"so you are the lifeline and mirage he spoke of. pleasure to meet you. call me, bloodhound."

elliott was shocked by the norwegian accented silky voice that spoke in front of him. that person was bloodhound all along and they were going to work with them.

and then he completely passed out, collapsing to the ground with a thump.