Chapter 27

4 months later...

May 27th

Without the Football team in Meadow sides, the school seems a lot more quieter. Without the boys, Emily and I sit together at lunch by ourselves as well as hang out almost every single day. Emily and Mark are still together but I can tell that being apart from each other is really taking a toll on Emily. As for Ace and I, we still talk to each other everyday and if not, whenever we can. 

Ace has been training with different teams as well as touring different college campuses. Because of this, communication between us has been slowly decreasing. With the time zone differences as well as his tough schedule, it feels like we are slowly drifting apart. 

Tour is in a few weeks and I am so excited. I miss the adrenaline I get every time I perform in front of an audience. The only thing that I am not excited for, is seeing my mom. Speaking of my mom, I haven't talked to her since Christmas. However, she did text me out of the blue today telling me that she has "exciting news for me."

"So mom texted me this morning before I went to school today that she has, "exciting news for me." Like what the heck does that even me?" I say as I take a bite out of my green apple as I roll around my dad's repair shop. 

"I thought you were vegan?" My dad asks while he is under a pick-up truck trying to change the car's oil.

"Well, I was vegan back in California, obviously now I am not. I swear, one of these days, I am just going to fire her."

"Are you going to fire her as your manager or fire her as your mother?"

"Both." I casually say as I toss my apple core into the trash can.

My dad rolls himself out under the car and sits up while giving me an "are you serious look."

"Okay fine, I would fire her as my manager. I don't even know the last time she has even spoken to me as her daughter. She talks to Sofia more than me. Like come on, they talk like every single day. Actually that is a bit of a stretch, more like every month."

"Well I don't know what to tell you sweetheart, your mom can be very..."

"Selfish? Uptight? Annoying? Self-centered? Ignorant?"

"I was going to say, Hardheaded. Sweetie, I know that she can be all of those things. I should know, I married her at one point. I think you need to tell her how you feels. I know it may sound stupid now, but deep down... somewhere, is a very kind-hearted woman who will understand you even if it doesn't seem like it."

I look at him questionably," Are we still talking about the same woman? You know, the one who told me to never talk to my own family for months because you guys might, 'Brainwash me?' The same woman who told me when I got my period that I need to, 'figure it out on my own?'"

My dad chuckles as he gets up and cleans his hands with a rag laying on his desk. "Mia, just tell her how you feel. You are growing up and you shouldn't need your mom to be your manager anymore. This news can't be that bad anyways."

I sigh,"I guess you are right, maybe I should just-"

I was interrupted as my phone starts ringing. I pick it up and read the caller ID.

Birth-Giver

I answer the phone but immediately pull it away from my ear as I hear my mom squealing into the phone.

"Guess who just got a new boyfriend!" My mom says excitedly.

"You got a boyfriend? Is this really the big news that you needed to tell me?" I ask which causes my dad to snap his head in my direction.

"No silly not me, YOU!"

"Me? I already-"

"You already what Mia Williams..."

"I uhm... I already love the single life! Me, myself and I my dearest mother." I tell my mom as I watch my dad roll his eyes at my response.

"You remember Matthew Miller right? The actor in that upcoming movie."

"You mean the same Matthew that I dated for publicity two years ago?"

"Oh good, so you do remember him. Anyways, I talked with his manager and we both agreed that you guys need to date again to bring some promotion for both his new movie as well as your tour that is coming up in a few weeks."

"Mom, you can't just do that without my approval. I don't even want to date this guy. For once can you just listen-"

"Mia I don't care what you say, you are going to date this boy. Don't you get it, this is going to help your career. All the attention is going to be on this relationship, it is a win-win situation."

I try my hardest to keep my calm myself down. A part of me wants to scream at my mother and tell her how I feel. A part of me just feels hopeless, no matter what I tell her, she isn't going to listen to me.

"Okay mother... what do you want me to do?" I sighed as I slumped back in my chair.

"Perfect, I knew you would understand. You are going to have to fly out to California tomorrow and meet with Matthew. Then just go out in the public and act like a couple. It should be easy, you have done it before. I will tell Arthur to call you to pick you up in the private Jet since he is done working for the Kardashians and Roger will pick you up from there." After that, my mother hangs up the phone leaving me confused and hopeless.

I didn't realized how long I was standing there until my dad pulls me in for a hug. Instantly all my emotions flew out of me as I broke down in my father's arms.

My phone goes off, signalling me that I just got a text message.

"Great, I wonder what mom said now." I pick up my phone and see that it wasn't a text message from my mom, but a text from Ace.

from Ace:

Hey Maya, I am so sorry that I didn't reply to your text a few days ago. I had a few interviews with some coaches and it just has been really hectic here. Don't worry,  I am coming home soon and I can't wait to see you.

"I forgot all about Ace." I say as I respond back with a simple "can't wait ❤️"

"What's up with you and Ace?" My dad asks.

"He just has been really busy these few months and we just haven't been talking as much."

"How long do you think you guys are going to last?"

"I don't know... a long time hopefully."

"Well, I love you but just don't get your hopes up kiddo if it doesn't work out. I want you to be happy but I also want you to focus on what you love to do. When all of this is over, you are going to move back to California for your career."

"I know, I just hope everything works out in the end."