Takin' A Hunting Trip

Heartlands USA 1899

Ethan's Outfit

I woke up to the sun just starting to rise over the beautiful heartlands of New Hanover

I woke up to the sun just starting to rise over the beautiful heartlands of New Hanover. I looked over and saw Sadie walking towards me dressed and ready to go with coffee in her hand.

Sadie: Good Morning.

Ethan: Morning.

Sadie: I got you some coffee.

Ethan: Thank you.

Sadie: No problem. Now get ready you said sunrise.

Ethan: You seem in quite a hurry to get out there.

Sadie: I've been dying to get out and actually do some work and get my mind off things plus the more time I get to spend with you the better.

Ethan: Well alright then. I'll get ready and meet you back here.

Sadie: Okay.

I grabbed my clothes and went behind some trees and got changed. I was glad to see Sadie a bit more happy. After I got changed I met her back at our tent.

Ethan: Alright let's get going.

Sadie: Okay.

We walked to the horses and let Hosea know that we were going hunting.

Ethan: Here you can have Jenny's horse.

Sadie: Jenny? I don't think I've met her.

Ethan: No you haven't. She passed when we had to flee Blackwater.

Sadie: Oh I'm sorry.

Ethan: She would've liked you. Come on lets go.

I helped her onto her new horse and then hopped onto mine and we headed off.

Sadie: So where are we goin'?

Ethan: Cumberland Forest. It's not too far and Hosea told me there should be some good game down there.

We rode on towards the forest but we realized it wasn't going to be a short journey so we decided that halfway through we were gonna stop and set up camp someplace then head back out in the morning. I found a good sized hill surrounded by trees and decided to set up camp.

Ethan: Here seems like a good spot. I'll set up camp and then I'll go try to find a rabbit or something for us to eat.

Sadie: Don't worry about it. You set up camp and I'll go get food.

Ethan: You sure? Have you even been hunting before?

She looked at me and shook her head and laughed something I had never heard her do before. It was like music to my ears.

Sadie: Of course I've been hunting before. I used to own a small ranch in the mountains hunting was basically the only way to get food.

Ethan: *Chuckles* Sure. You go and I'll set up camp. Holler if you need any help.

Sadie: I'll be back in no time.

She soon walked off to find some game while I set up camp which was just our sleeping pads from camp a couple of blankets and a small fire. Soon after she came back with two small rabbits.

Sadie: Look what I got.

Ethan: Good job Sadie. I must say I am impressed and you even skinned em' too I'm so proud.

Sadie: *Chuckles* Shut up and start cookin'.

Ethan: Your wish is my command.

I began to roast the rabbits over the fire.

Sadie: So I've been meaning to ask. How old are you?

Ethan: I'm thirty. Six years younger than Arthur.

Sadie: How'd you guys become apart of this gang?

Ethan: Well it started when our father, Lyle, was arrested for larceny when we were young. Probably around 1874 I was around five years old and Arthur was eleven. But he escaped from jail and returned to us. The law caught up with him though and shot him dead in front of us. Arthur kinda raised me for about four years afterwards and it was tough. But then we were picked up by Dutch and Hosea and they looked after us, taught us how to read, hunt, cook, shoot a gun, and of course rob people. But never taught us to rob poor people though, in fact Dutch punished Arthur one time for robbing a home that was too poor. But ever since they first picked us up we've been riding with them ever since. About 21 years now.

Sadie: So I guess we can maybe relate to watching somebody we love die.

Ethan: The difference is the loving part. See you were married and loved Jake. My father, well he stuck around longer than was good for anybody.

Sadie: I'm just glad I met you all. Especially you.

Ethan: Me too Sadie.

After a bit the rabbits were done cooking. We ate them and they were delicious.

Ethan: It's getting late. We should probably get some rest we have a long day ahead of us tomorrow.

Sadie: Alright.

We laid down and talked for a bit more before falling asleep.

The Next Morning.

Sadie and I woke up early and took down our camp. We hopped on our horses and finished our ride to Cumberland Forest. Once we got there we planted some deer bait.

Ethan: We should probably get two deer. With that bait we'll probably attract four or five. So you get one and I'll get another.

Sadie: Sounds like a plan.

We waited for about ten minutes before three deer showed up around the bait. Sadie and I both aimed our sights and fired. She hit her deer first shot but I wasn't so lucky.

Ethan: Damn.

Sadie: Good shooting Morgan.

Ethan: Ha-Ha very funny Mrs. Adler. Let's wait for another one to show up.

We waited for a few for another group of deer to show up. This time I was more focused and got a clean kill.

Ethan: There we go.

Sadie: Finally. Now come on let's ride down and get em'.

Ethan: After you ma'am.

We got on our horses and rode down to the deer where we skinned and stowed the them on the back of our horses. We made the long journey back to camp. We made it back just after sunset. We gave the deer to Pearson and went back to our tent to relax.

Ethan: I enjoyed hunting with you today Sadie.

Sadie: Me too. But maybe you should work on your aim before we go out again.

Ethan: I'm better at hunting O'Driscolls than deer.

Sadie: That's something you should help me with someday.

Ethan: You sure that's what you wanna do? Kill people?

Sadie: Only bad people. I need to avenge my husband Ethan.

Ethan: I know...and we will.