Heading Down South

Heartlands USA 1899

People have been a little on edge ever since they found out Pinkertons are near but so far everyone is keeping a cool head and are still trying to find ways to make money. I was just finishing up chopping the wood for the camp fire when Sadie walked up to me.

Sadie: I swear I'm going to kill that fat old coot if I have to cut one more vegetable.

Ethan: Don't go killing the camp cook now.

Sadie: When am I gonna be able to ride with you boys? You already know I can use a gun.

Ethan: I know. You will soon enough you just gotta earn Dutch's trust first. Besides we're not just hunting we're hunted and the folks hunting us have guns of their own.

Sadie: I ain't afraid of dying.

Ethan: That's what scares me.

Sadie: What do you mean?

Before I could explain we were interrupted by Dutch storming into camp with John and Strauss.

Dutch: Everyone start packing up! We got to leave now!

Ethan: What happened?

Dutch: Our old friend Mr. Cornwall found us in Valentine. We can't stay here any longer.

Ethan: So where we gonna go?

Dutch: I sent Arthur and Charles to scout a spot Micah told me about. Dewberry Creek.

Ethan: Alright I guess I'll start packing then.

I walked back over to my tent and started packing stuff up.

Sadie: What's going on?

Ethan: We're moving.

Sadie: Where to?

Ethan: I don't know for sure. Arthur and Charles are scouting a place but I'm not sure.

Sadie: Alright then I guess we better get packed.

We packed up our tent and helped around the camp for a bit until John came up to me.

John: So you gonna take me on a fishing trip too?

Ethan: Oh shut it.

John: I'm just messing with you. Thanks for doing that by the way.

Ethan: Don't mention it. So what happened in Valentine?

John: Well Arthur and I were getting some money for a sheep auction and we met Dutch at the saloon and out of nowhere Cornwall shows up brings a whole army of men. We had to shoot our way outta there.

Ethan: That doesn't sound ideal. We need to move fast then.

John: You're telling me.

Charles then came back to camp and told Dutch that he and Arthur found a spot down south. He said they had to rescue a family but that the spot seems nice and secluded. We packed our stuff into the wagons and set off for the south. I rode my horse and Sadie rode hers next to me.

Sadie: So we're heading south?

Ethan: I guess so. I ain't never been down this way before.

Sadie: Me neither. I guess it'll be nice to get some new scenery.

Ethan: Yeah and hopefully we can stay here for a bit longer.