A Fisher Of Men

Heartlands USA 1899

The past month or so here has been very productive. Arthur and some of the other guys tracked down Sean and rescued him. Hosea found some business down at Emerald ranch. Strauss has been getting money by collecting debts and even though I don't like it it does pay and some of the boys robbed another train and got a good bit of money so overall things are looking up for us. Oh and Micah got arrested so Arthur and I had to break him out which led to him shooting up the damn town of strawberry. I have no idea why Dutch keeps him around. I got some coffee and walked towards Sadie who was sitting with Abigail. I sat down next to Sadie.

Abigail: Hey Ethan can I ask you a favor?

Ethan: What is it?

Abigail: Would you do something with Jack? He seems kind of down. All this upheaval can't have been easy on the poor kid.

Jack was only a seven year old young boy. He was John and Abigails kid. I loved Jack like a little brother.

Ethan: Sure. I'll take him fishing.

Abigail: Thank you.

Ethan: Don't mention it.

I walked across the camp looking for Jack and I eventually found him sitting by the horses.

Ethan: What you up to?

Jack: Playing.

Ethan: Anything fun?

Jack: I guess.

Ethan: You wanna come fishing with me?

Jack: Okay.

Ethan: Let's go get your pole then. Now you do have a fishing pole don't you?

Jack: I sure do. Uncle Hosea made me one.

Ethan: Well let's go get it then and go catch us some fish.

Jack: Yeah!

We went and grabbed his fishing pole. I helped him on my horse and we went off towards the river that was close to camp.

Jack: I have a question for you Uncle Ethan.

Ethan: What's your question?

Jack: Are you and Mrs. Adler boyfriend and girlfriend?

Ethan: *Chuckles* No Jack Mrs. Adler and I aren't boyfriend and girlfriend. We're just...best friends.

Jack: Are you sure?

Ethan: Yes Jack I'm sure...but I'll tell you a secret if you promise not to tell anybody.

Jack: I promise.

Ethan: Okay...between you and me...I like Mrs. Adler as more than a friend.

Jack: Oooh.

I just chuckled and soon enough we arrived at the river. I got Jack off my horse and we walked to the shoreline. I got my fishing pole and he got his.

Ethan: First we need some bait. I'm gonna use some cheese.

Jack: Cheese?

Ethan Yeah. The smellier the better.

I put some bait on my hook and put some on Jacks.