A Short Ride Into Town

Heartlands USA 1899

Everyone's beginning to settle in at this new camp. I've been into town a couple of times and Me, Arthur, and a couple of other guys got into a fight with some of the town folk at the saloon.  We found out that Sean was being held by bounty hunters and we went and rescued him. So overall everything seems to be getting better. Even Sadie seems to be better she's befriended every one of the girls, especially Abigail. But she still comes to me for pretty much everything and hangs out with me the most which I have no problem with. Speaking of Sadie I walked over and saw her talking to Kieran, the O'Driscoll that Arthur grabbed in the mountains, who was tied to a tree. Sadie had a plate of stew in her hand.

Sadie: So you're the O'Driscoll huh?

Kieran: I'm the feller tied to the tree so, I guess I must be.

Sadie: I've met some of your boys before.

Kieran: Oh yeah?

Sadie: You must be hungry.

Kieran: Like you wouldn't believe.

Sadie: Well I'll leave this here then.

Sadie then dumped the stew on the ground and stomped on it.

Sadie: In the dirt. Where those other O'Driscolls left my husband.

Kieran then began to sob and I let out a chuckle. Serves the bastard right. Sadie walked up to me.

Ethan: Don't kill that O'Driscoll boy just yet. We need to get something out of him first.

Sadie: No promises.

Arthur and Dutch then went up to Kieran and questioned him about Colm and the rest of the O'Driscolls whereabouts. After some hard questioning and having Bill almost geld him they untied him and started to walk off.

Arthur: The O'Driscoll boy says he's taking us to Colm we'll be back.

Ethan: Want me to come with?

Arthur: No we can handle it but could you do me a favor and go into town and get me some gun oil?

Ethan: Looks like I've turned into the goddamn errand boy. You wanna come with me Sadie?

Sadie: Sure.

Ethan: Alright then. Let's go.

We walked over to the horses. I helped Sadie on to my horse and then hopped on. We rode to Valentine and I hitched my horse outside the gun store. Sadie and I walked in and bought Arthur his gun oil.

Ethan: So is there anything you need while we're here in town?

Sadie: I don't think so.

Ethan: Alright. Wanna go to the saloon?

Sadie: Sounds good to me I haven't had a drink in a while.

Ethan: Let's go then.

We walked to the saloon which was not far. We walked in and I asked the bartender for two beers. He brought us our beers and I paid them. As Sadie and I began to drink and talk a drunk feller came up next to Sadie.

Drunk Feller: Well ain't you just a pretty little thang'. How bout you come back to my place?

Sadie: Not interested.

Drunk Feller: Come on we'll have fun.

Sadie: Leave me alone!

Drunk Feller: You're quite a feisty one ain't ya?

Ethan: Listen buddy she said leave her alone now get lost.

The guy stood up and got in my face. I got up and got in his face as well putting Sadie behind me. 

Drunk Feller: What are you gonna do about it?

The guy then pushed me and I returned with a punch hitting him square in the jaw knocking him on his ass. Sadie grabbed my arm and pulled me away.

Sadie: Come on let's go.

We quickly walked out of the saloon and saw Arthur walking towards us.

Arthur: What's going on?

Ethan: Some drunk bastard was hitting on her. So I hit him.

Arthur: Of course you did. Did you get my gun oil?

Ethan: Yeah here you go.

I handed him the gun oil and we began walking towards the horses.

Ethan: So did you guys find Colm?

Arthur: Not exactly. We found where he was hiding but he wasn't there and I would be dead if it weren't for Kieran.

Sadie: The O'Driscoll?

Arthur: Yep I let him go but he wanted to stay with us so we're gonna give him a chance.

Ethan: An O'Driscoll in our camp? That's something I thought I'd never see.

Arthur: Yeah well we'll see how it goes. Anyways I'm gonna head back to camp. I'll see you two later.

Arthur then got on his horse and rode off back to camp. Sadie and I stuck around for a bit more before doing the same. We arrived at camp and went to our tent.

Sadie: That O'Driscoll better not think he's my friend now. Because I will kill him in his sleep.

Ethan: I don't doubt it but Dutch usually likes to prevent murder from within the camp.

Sadie: Is Dutch like a father to you and Arthur?

Ethan: You could say that but, he's more than that. Hosea too. They helped us when we thought there was no good in the world.

Sadie: Was It always like this? Moving around all the time?

Ethan: Pretty much. When it was just us four it was easier but as the gang grew it got harder to stay in one place for a long period of time.

Sadie: Do you think you'll ever leave?

Ethan: Probably not. I guess I'm too committed now.

Sadie: Well I guess I'm staying too then.

Ethan: What you mean?

Sadie: You guys are my family and you're my best friend. I can't lose you.

Ethan: I feel the same way towards you.

We then laid down next to each other and she snuggled next to me and we fell asleep looking up at the stars.