[ 17 ]

"I'm as solid as they come, but you crossed the line 
Yeah, you been stopped keepin' it real, I can see the signs 
When it came to havin' your back, I'm so real 
I prolly would've gave you my spine 
I'd rather have loyalty than love 
'Cause love really don't mean jack 
See love is just a feeling 
You can love somebody and still stab them in the back" 
- 21 Savage 

Kadence

"He doesn't know anything. I can't wait to see his expression when he finds out. You know more than anyone how long we've been trying." I spoke into the phone to Jay while staring at my body in the full length mirror. I'm officially three months pregnant today and I don't even have a bump yet. Chance expected all of our kids to happen back to back, but it just wasn't happening.

"So how are you going to do it?"

"He's on his way home now and we have reservations at his mom's restaurant. I wrote this little cheesy note and gave it to Caleb. He's going to hand it to him once we start on desert. Actually here he is calling me right now. I'll call you in the morning to tell you how it goes." I quickly clicked over while moving to step into my pumps.

"Hey, baby. You almost here?"

"That's why I'm calling. I had to make a detour to the warehouse so I'm running about twenty minutes behind." There's always something with the damn warehouse. All these workers Chance has, but yet he always wants to be front and center on everything.

"Are you really or should I just change into my pajamas?"

"Nah, I'm on my way for real. Everything besides what we have planned tonight is paused. I'll handle these loose ends later on." That's just code for he'll be leaving back out once I'm asleep.

"I guess. You already have me waiting on you like always."

"We're still building right now, baby. I'm telling you this business will start running itself in no time. I just have a few more moves to make. You trust me, right?" I sighed and took a seat on the foot of our bed.

"You know I trust you. I just don't have any patience. With that being said, hurry your ass home. I'm already dressed and Caleb will be up from his nap any minute now."

"Ten minutes out. I love you."

"I love you too." I ended the call and placed my hand on my stomach. "Your daddy better pull it together before you get here. Hopefully you're a boy so you can keep your overactive brother occupied. I wouldn't mind a girl either. You'll get to do everything with mommy." I looked over at Caleb sprawled across my bed, a smile growing across my face. I can't wait to have another little one running around here.

I blinked my eyes open while staring up at my ceiling. It was a normal day. There wasn't anything out of the ordinary so why did everything end up going wrong? I've been analyzing every single part of that day leading up to the incident for years now. I wanted to know where we went wrong, but everything was normal. At least it seemed that way to me. It was a normal day for us that quickly went to hell. I glanced over at the clock on my nightstand that read four thirty in the morning. A big part of me wants to call Chance, but then again I'm not ready to open that door for him again.

"Pull yourself together, Kadence." I spoke to myself while carefully climbing out of my bed so I wouldn't wake up Chas. I wrapped myself in my robe and made my way downstairs. Walking into my living room I took a seat on my couch and looked around at all the old family pictures that decorated the walls. My eyes stopped on a picture of Chance, Caleb and myself sitting in front of our Christmas tree. It's the last professional pictures we had taken with each other. My eyes moved to the picture beside it of us on New Years. Chance was holding a sleeping Caleb against his chest while leaning down to kiss me for the countdown. Fireworks were going off in the background.