[ 24 ]

"Yeah, it's hotter than July
It's the summer when niggas die
It's the summer when niggas ride
Together we be strong, but forever we divide
So y'all are blowin' my high
Type of shit that's killin' my vibe
White kids are brought in alive
Black kids get hit with like five
Get scared, you panic, you're goin' down
The disadvantages of the brown
How in the hell the parents gon' bury their own kids
Not the other way around?
Reminds me of Emmett Till
Let's remind 'em why Kap kneels"
- Nas

KD

I walked into the private room with Xavier and sat my briefcase down on the table. I called into my home office and placed the small Bluetooth into my ear. The lawyer rooms are the only ones at the prison that do not have cameras monitoring them, so I had Xavier put together some bogus case information and schedule the visit under an alias name. I also requested one of my own officers to stand guard at the door so that we're not interrupted.

"Chance, can you hear me?" I opened my briefcase and pulled out the mini cameras. "I need one placed in each corner of the room." I told Xavier since I don't have any type of height to place them myself.

"I can hear you, baby." Chance's voice rung out in my ear. My Bluetooth is linked to my home office and the feed from these cameras will be displayed there on my monitor for Chance. Since he can't leave the house I'm letting him experience the visit with me. As soon as I got the name from Prince I immediately knew who he was. I've been kicking myself for not putting the pieces together sooner. I should have known who it was as soon as I seen Paris' gullible ass in person. This man is a master manipulator so I know for a fact he's been directing Paris this entire time.

"I'm turning on the visual. Let me know if the quality is clear." Xavier gave me a thumbs up and I waited for Chance to confirm the view.

"All angles look good."

"Great. Let's get this show on the road." I closed my briefcase and sat it on the floor. I checked the room to make sure my cameras weren't visible and motioned for Xavier to alert the officer that we're ready. Xavier stood against the wall behind me and I wiped my palms against my tailored slacks and waited for him to enter the room.

"KD, stay calm." Xavier spoke from behind me. My family is familiar with Marcus as well. I dated him all through middle school and into high school up until he dropped out and started running the streets. He figured I would run behind him, but instead I cut him off and not long after I began dating Chance. My family may act like they don't like Chance, but they despised Marcus. Marcus would contact me, well after I graduated, trying to taunt me with pictures of him and his new girl - Paris. He claimed she was a better version of me since she was loyal. I posted about being pregnant and now all of a sudden his girl is pregnant and she's having a boy too. I even lied and hinted that I was naming my baby Ayden to see what he would do and boom, he posted pictures online of their baby shower with Ayden banners everywhere. He thrived to make me jealous as if I was still checking for him. I told Kal about him harassing me one day and after that I never heard from him again.

"I knew the day would come where the love of my life would come see me." I cringed at the sound of his voice and dug my fingers into the side of my thigh to keep myself seated.

"I thought that was Paris. You know, the better version of me." I spoke in an even tone as the officer brought him around the table and sat him down in the chair. I watched as he secured the chains on his ankle to the floor and cuffed one of his wrists to the table. He left out the room without saying a word and I knew he wouldn't come back in until Xavier gave him the world.