[ 29 ]

"I think the storm ran out of rain, the clouds are movin'
I know you're happy, cause I can see it
So tell the voice inside ya head to believe it
I talked to God about you, he said he sent you an angel
And look at all that he gave you
You asked for one and you got two
You know I never left you
Cause every road that leads to heaven's right inside you"
- Kanye West

Kadence

"Today, we come together not to feel sorrow, but to honor those who are no longer with us physically but will always be with us emotionally. It's important for everyone to remember that we never really lose those we truly love. True love never leaves your heart. Tonight we're going to have everyone write a letter to the ones they lost. Write about everything you felt you didn't have the chance to say. Once we've all written our letters we're going to plant them in with this soil and then we'll plant our own memorial Japanese Red Maple tree. These letters will help build the foundation to ensure that their memories will carry on." Brit spoke while the kids passed around notepads and pencils to everyone. I smiled, feeling warm inside about the idea. A memorial tree had never crossed my mind until Tink presented it to me, but the thought of having a physical presence like a tree right in my backyard is something I look forward to.

"I'm going to turn on some music to help everyone get into their writing zone. We want everyone to be wrapping up by eleven thirty so that we can finish planting the tree before the scheduled fireworks at midnight." Tink spoke while walking over to the sound system. I looked over at Chance's notepad before looking at my own. There are a couple circle tables spread out around the backyard. It's only myself, Chance and Chasity at our table. There are also a couple fire pits spread around to keep everyone warm. We've also set up tents for everyone to give out the camping experience for the kids.

"I think I'll start with a letter to my dad." I mumbled while starting to write my thoughts onto the paper.

"Yeah, I'll do the same. I have to prepare myself to write to Caleb." Chance spoke, his voice holding so many emotions. I leaned over to kissed his cheek before going back to my letter to my dad. Once I finished the letter I looked across the table at Chasity's notepad to see her drawing what appeared to be dinosaurs. I nudged Chance and motioned for him to look at her paper. Chasity has never taken an interest in dinosaurs, but Caleb was obsessed with them and Chance would record episodes of Dragon Tales and DinoTrux for him since it was all he wanted to watch.

"Chas, I didn't know you liked dinosaurs." Chance casually spoke while placing his hand onto my thigh. My nerves calmed down some, but I'm still freaking out a bit.

"I don't. Caleb wanted me to draw them for him." She stated while using a green crayon to shade in one of the dinosaurs, not bothering to look up at us. My heart feels like it jumped up into my throat as I thought of a way to respond to her.

"Chasity, look at us." I slowly spoke. She looked up from her drawing, a curious smile on her face. "When did he ask you to draw that?" She shrugged her shoulders and glanced at the empty space next to her.

"Caleb doesn't want you guys to be sad anymore. He's happy about the tree." She giggled and picked up a red crayon. "This one?" She held it up for a second before using it to draw another dinosaur on her paper.

"Baby girl? Is he talking to you right now?" Chance questioned her causing her to look up with a goofy smile. Seeing that smile on her face was enough to warm my entire being. I smiled and leaned my body against Chance.

"Caleb always talks to me, but he has to leave tonight. Daddy is home now so he doesn't have to stay with me anymore." An instant wave of relief washed over me at being able to confirm my what I've been feeling in my heart these past years. I knew there was something greater than the doctors that was keeping Chasity alive. Her life was scheduled to end before it even began when I got shot that night. The doctor couldn't explain how the bullet didn't immediately kill her, and all they could tell me was that I was lucky. Let's not even get started on the surgeries that I was told she had a less than five percent chance of surviving. I looked up at Chance to see tears rolling down his face. His grip on my thigh is becoming so tight that I had to place my hand on top of his to try and calm him down.