[ 30 ]

"At forty-four minutes to four
An angel walked up to my door
Opened the windows to my soul
Told me he thinks that I should know
Life only gets harder but you gotta get stronger
This is for my brother, I do this for my daughter
That's why I keep going, that's why I keep going"
- Jhene Aiko

Kadence

"Hello?" I heard Chance's voice groggily mumble while answering the phone. It was ringing nonstop, but I didn't feel like moving out of my sleep to answer it. The bed shifted and next thing I know the nightstand light is being turned on.

"Seriously, Chance?"

"Baby, get up. It's your mom." Once he said that I immediately became alert. Looking over at the clock it read six forty five in the morning. I sat up and took the phone from Chance, putting it on speaker.

"Mom? What's going on?"

"It's Farren. She-she-she-"

"Slow down. What's going on with Farren?" I climbed out the bed, already in search of some clothes.

"She hurt herself. They're going to take her from me. This-this is all your fault!" I rolled my eyes and slipped into some leggings.

"What hospital are you at?"

"UCLA-"

"I'm on my way." I ended the call and walked into my closet to grab a hoodie.

"You should call someone to go with you. She's emotional right now and she might take that out on you." Chance spoke while following me into the closet.

"Chance, my mom talks a lot of shit, but that's all she does. I need to be there for my sister before they try and put her in the system. I don't know if my step dad is there or not." I slipped into some sneakers and grabbed my bag, double checking to make sure my wallet and ID was inside it.

"I'm going to call your brother to meet you up there. I don't like the way her tone sounded on the phone."

"Chance-"

"I'm not asking you. You must have forgotten that I remember the shit she used to do to you when you lived with her. If I didn't have this damn monitor on still I would be going with you. If she's as harmless as you think then your brother being there won't bother you."

"Fine, but I'm leaving right now." I grabbed my phone and walked over to give him a kiss. "I love you. I'll call you once I find out what's going on." I rushed out the room and downstairs. I grabbed my keys and waisted no time to leaving and heading down to the hospital.

"I'm here to see Farren Liu." I told the check in person as soon as I made it in. I waited a few minutes while she looked up the name.

"She's a minor. They aren't allowing any visitors for her."

"She's my little sister. Is there a social worker or someone I can speak with in regards to the situation?"

"Let me see if I can call someone. Can I have your name?"

"Kadence Delgado." I watched as she incorrectly wrote my name down and picked up her phone.

"I'm going to have you wait in the waiting room over there and I'll let you know if I get a response." I thanked her and walked over to take a seat. I pulled out my phone and called Chance.

"Kalvin is on his way up there."

"Okay. I don't think it's necessary though. I haven't seen my mom yet, but I'm trying to see if I can talk to a social worker right now." My nerves are all over the place right now until I can find out what exactly happened to my sister.