10: "24" (The Countess)

Based loosely on lyrics of Lana del Rey's song "24"  and reader feels vengeful towards The Countess

Ecstasy and pain was all I could feel at this point, alternately. It was months on end that these feelings would switch on and off as I lied on the never-made bed of the Cortez's upper floor. This was The Countess' level and she would always repeat the same routine every day, just with various month-long playmates to entertain her.

She would be impeccably dressed, her hair styled like a queen's, and perfectly applied makeup. After drinking down a crystal Tiffany's glass of blood, she would leave the hotel and shop. In the evenings, The Countess would enhance her appearance before going out to hunt for new targets. She'd return at night, feeling absolutely full of passion and energy needing to be released. That was why she had a string of lovers throughout the ages, all beautiful people she used to have to satisfy her desires. This list, of course, included me. Donovan had bitterly left her alone a few weeks ago and she concentrated her attentions towards me every night. 

But then her heart shifted. I was no longer the focal point and was half-discarded, just to be used every so often. It felt like a drug addict going through withdrawal to hear her in the other room with someone else while my body and heart convulsed in agony. The Countess was the only person I'd ever really connected with: her artistic interpretations of life, her expensive taste, the timeless yet liberated energy she gave off, and her understanding for people of all walks of life. I finally understood what it was like to be in Donovan's pathetic position. 

Whenever I was physically and mentally able to lift myself off the bed I lounged on, my only destination was down to the Blue Parrot. Liz would comment on the exhausted and wasted look of my face that appeared ever since The Countess turned her cold eyes to someone else. I would drink down whatever she put in front of me before responding.

"I can't stand it anymore. How do the others cope?" 

Liz sighed, "Well, at the moment, at least two of them are plotting to kill her out of revenge." 

"I don't blame them, this is torture." I groaned.

"Would you like to join in the ranks then? That is what Donovan's been busy with recently, but I don't think he'll go through with it alone." 

"Yes. I'm done with feeling like a toy she tossed away after growing bored with me and then having her come back every few days to mess around with me, lie and say that she missed me so much, then make me feel like she meant it all through the night. But I'd wake up in the morning with her off hunting someone down to feed from and I feel like it was all a dream." 

"Well then I'll let Donovan know and pass any details of his plans to you if he gives me any. It's best if you stay here to avoid The Countess' suspicion. I'll wish you luck, honey." Liz frowned, sending me back up to where I usually spent the rest of my day. 

- - - - - - - - - - 

It was finally time when all the weeks of planning were coming together and the time was almost right. Donovan hadn't come back to the Cortez for over a month now, but was passing me information through Liz. I waited patiently for orders, knowing I'd be the one to pull the trigger. I had to admit, though, that there were days when I wanted to back out of the revenge plot and stay in this miserable position. But something needed to be down about The Countess. She'd plagued too many people for too many decades and the rest of us were all done with feeling withdrawals. 

A call came into the room in the late morning, The Countess obviously not in her own penthouse. I answered for her and was surprised to hear Liz asking for me to come down to the lounge. The shock of news and the urgent tone of her voice made me almost jump out of the sheets. I got dressed and moderately pulled myself together before going down to meet Liz.