19: The Supremacy (Cordelia Foxx)

A/N: Please request anything you guys want bc I'm kinda running out of ideas

Reader is the rising Supreme at Robichaux's and Cordelia is there to reassure them

It was terrible not knowing what my powers could do and when they decided to act up. I'd burned down a library, burst a fire hydrant, got a group of stray cats follow me around, shapeshifted twice, and flooded the bathroom at Robichaux's last week entirely on accident. None of it was anything I wanted to do, I was happy with just the initial power I showed: understanding the language of animals. It sounded stupid, very Disney-princess like, but it was better than having to lead all the witches and warlocks of the coven. 

Cordelia was glad to help me understand and improve the multitude of my manifesting powers. Some of the other people at the school were envious of the title, but they didn't see how badly I didn't want it. Misty was the closest witch to me since she could empathize with how it felt to be under so much pressure without ever wanting it. After all, she was almost made Supreme when she'd first arrived officially at the academy. 

I'd never been good around too many people. Maybe that's why I was given my power; so I'd never be lonely despite my distant attitude towards others. Forcing me to lead must've been some sick joke of whatever decided which witch or warlock gained the Supremacy. None of the other powers were even stable. I had no idea what I'd do if Cordelia died. She was still so young and such a great leader for us that I would do nothing but ruin the coven. 

"Oh, Cordelia wants to see you in her office. Miss Rising Supreme." One of the other witches informed me bitterly, walking past me on the staircase. 

I nodded quietly and muttered a "thank you" as I turned back down the stairs to reach Cordelia's office. Although she wasn't intimidating towards me, I was scared that she would try reminding me of the responsibilities resting on my shoulders. It wasn't helpful at all to re-visit those thoughts and raise all my  anxiety again. I took a deep breath before turning the handle of the office door and walking inside.

"Ah, thank you for coming in here so soon." Cordelia smiled.

"No problem. What did you want to see me about?" I asked, sitting down at the chair opposite hers.

"It seems to some of the others here, and also myself, that you haven't been yourself lately. I understand that the new powers must be perplexing for you." 

"Well, I guess."

"And perhaps some mixed emotions from excitement? Maybe fear?"

"I don't want to be Supreme."

Cordelia paused for a moment, tucking her straight blonde hair behind her ear before responding to my statement.

"You remind me of myself when I was younger: insecure, fearful, and uncertain of what to do. I don't want you to go through any of the pain that I did to understand my own power. You have to gain the confidence for your position and you have all the support from all of us here at Robichaux's." 

"To be honest, I only found a close friend in Misty here. Some of the girls would rather have my head than support me." I admitted.

"Then I haven't been doing my job. You will rise to the occasion, I know it. You will have power over this coven and burn, literally burn, anyone who tries causing harm to silence you as the Supreme." Cordelia instructed, her voice stone-cold. 

"O-Okay." I said shakily from the intensity of her comment.

"The Council will be here in a week for the Seven Wonders. Until then, I will personally help you practice and make sure that all the others here respect you."

Cordelia dismissed me from her office and from the rest of the day's group activities. She sent some books up to my room later on, all of which dealt with the skills tested in the Seven Wonders. Every day from then on was reserved for practice, studying, and more practice. I was too afraid to try Descensum on my own then, especially with the high chance that I might get stuck before even testing my hand at the actual examination. 

The other witches left me alone, besides Cordelia and Misty. They came up in the evenings when I was most exhausted by the readings and constant exertion of my energy from practicing. Of course I would visit the kitchen for meals and snacks, but it would be like a robotic version of me numbly fulfilling necessary tasks. Misty would pull me off the bed and turn some quiet music on to talk over or to dance to. She would make me laugh or intently listen to anything I'd confess to her. Cordelia offered advice or tips on performing each Wonder. By the end of the week, I'd gained some confidence in myself and felt ready enough to be tested. I would become the next Supreme and bring honor to the coven.