15: On the Run (Jimmy Darling)

A/N: Also based off an AU idea I saw somewhere on tumblr and it kinda reminds me of the Gucci Guilty ad with Lana del Rey. Thanks for all the love, hope you enjoy!

Fem-reader & Jimmy escaped the whole Freak Show fiasco with Dandy so now they're fugitives bc they're suspected for the murders

None of this was ever okay, and it was most definitely against Jimmy's own moral code. Things had recently gone from bad to worse at Elsa's and the lady herself was nowhere to be found. It was lucky that Jimmy and I had been out when the whole massacre happened, avoiding Dandy's wrath when he'd arrived earlier. The only other person I found alive there was Desiree, but it was clear that Bette and Dot were taken away by the rich, whiney man-child.

Desiree planned an escape for herself after getting the twins back from Dandy's home. All three of us got into his house dressed as waitstaff and then killed him, slipping just enough arsenic into his food. He consumed it all, which left no evidence if the police investigated it and his death would look like a suicide. But the killing he'd done could easily be blamed on the "freaks". All of us involved had to leave immediately. 

Jimmy wanted to stick to his own principles of righteousness and honesty, but now couldn't be the time. The police would find any excuse to get rid of any sort of outcast. So we would steal cars, usually from the homes of people who had multiple cars anyways, and drive further around the country in order to avoid being caught. It was kind of thrilling to be a fugitive in the county. 

We would spend every night in a new motel room, caring for nothing but each other's company. Through the daytime, we would be in some fancy car that Jimmy or I took turns driving and then stop in for a quick bite at a small diner before continuing on. Our route brought us all the way out to Las Vegas, Nevada. It was a brightly-shining city at night, a place where we could walk about freely in the dark.

It was only the first night since we'd arrived. Jimmy went out to check on the car while I stayed up in the room, getting dressed up glamorously for the night. The clothes I'd brought were all either from before or were bought along the way from selling any belongings left in the cars we stole. I pulled out a sequin-covered blush pink dress that draped over my frame pretty well and kept on my pair of stylish, black kitten heels. All I did was fix any stray marks of makeup on my face and pin some sections of my hair up. Jimmy came back, still looking dapper in his collared button-up, and was delighted with what he saw.

"No wonder you're a fugitive, sugar, it's gotta be a crime to look like that and not be on the silver screen." He teased, offering me the crook of his arm as we left the motel room.

"Oh please, Jimmy, I'd be on the screen if I really deserved it. Tonight though, let's run around this city like we aren't supposed to be hiding away." 

"Sounds perfect." He said, pecking my cheek. 

Stars dotted the sky like tiny white diamonds, the moon illuminating them against the deep blue navy of the night sky. It was so calming in comparison to the wild nightlife of the streets we walked upon. Showgirls dressed in scant, feathery outfits stood outside certain buildings, beckoning for street-goers to come inside and see them perform. Jazzy or rock-n-roll music played from inside every shop, bar, or casino and it further livened the streets we passed by. 

"Baby, you wanna take a chance at some of the slot machines? I brought my wallet along if you want to." Jimmy offered, motioning towards the doors of a casino shining with bright yellow neon lights.

"Sure, why not? Nothing bad could really happen anyways." I shrugged, following him inside.

There were several people dressed even more lavishly than us- dancing by the jukeboxes or live band stages, trying their hands at the machines, enjoying a drink or two from the bar, chatting with others, whining, cheering, laughing, living. It was so much more lively here at night than most anywhere else the both of you had visited along the way. Nighttime wasn't the part of the day to rest, it was when life just began. The true self could be expressed, even if it was considered shameful in the daylight. 

Jimmy tried one of the slot machines a few times with some mild luck at winning back more than his money's worth. He didn't get too carried away with it though, knowing that it could form a nasty habit his Ma wouldn't have approved of. I followed along beside him, testing my own skills at a table where they played Blackjack or Poker and having Jimmy to cheer me on. Those were the most fun games; I could lazily sit around with a cigarette hanging out the side of my mouth and still beat all the grown, wealthy men sitting at the table.

We danced together afterwards, only stumbling back to the motel room in the wee hours of morning when we'd usually be asleep. Jimmy was still talking about his victories cheerfully as I smiled back at him and commended him on his luck with the slots. He was, apparently, impressed with my card skills and asked me to teach him how to play later. I agreed to his wish and confessed what I'd been thinking about the entire night.

"Do you think that maybe we've gone far enough?" I asked.

"What d'ya mean?" 

"That the influence of the Jupiter police doesn't reach here and we can finally stop running." 

"I think so. If there's ever any sign of them, I'll protect you with my life and we'll get away as fast as we can. Like Bonnie and Clyde, except we won't get shot up."

I chuckled at his comment, "Of course, honey. But I just really love it here and how we don't have to hide anything. You spent the whole night out without your gloves and didn't ask me for them the entire time."

"You're right, baby." 

"So we'll stay here? At least for a little while longer?" I said, forming a fake-pout with my lips so Jimmy would comply.

"Sure, if that's what you want. We can stay in this room for a little while and move out to a house not too far out, right?" 

"Absolutely." I smiled, "Have I mentioned how happy I am to be out here with you, even though we are wanted fugitives running from the police?"

"I don't remember you tellin' me that but this is the most fun I've had since I was about five and went off missin' for a whole day just to explore the woods by myself." 

"You must've been a handful." I joked.

"Oh yeah, I feel bad for Ma havin' to deal with me all by 'erself. But now we're out here together runnin' from the cops and actually restin' for once in Vegas."

"Yeah, and I don't think I mentioned this but I've loved every minute of it."

"Me too, sugar." He smiled, pulling me over gently by the waist and planting a sweet kiss onto my lipstick-coated lips, getting the red hue all over his own mouth. I laughed at the smudged color over his face but let him keep going, no matter the consequence of messed up lipstick or irritated room-neighbors for the rest of the night.