12: Painting (Kit Walker)

A/N: First request! This one's for @Brookie2105 & I kept it ~clean~ as always, but please send me a message if you want something un-clean

Reader is painting in the art room and Kit comes in to help/watch

The record player was at its highest setting and yet all I could hear were my own thoughts, plus the quiet sound of the various paintbrush tips sweeping over the massive canvas. It was like a workout, having to get up on a step-stool or bend all the way over in order to reach parts of the canvas. The painting idea had been bugging me for days until Kit came home one day with a bunch of art supplies and told me to "get to work" on it. 

And here I was, my day off being taken up by me bringing this idea to life. There were all different shades of oil paint and several wet paintbrushes all over the place; lucky for the floor being covered up by every single rag we had in the house. It must've been hours since I first stepped into the room after having breakfast. Time was flying, but I didn't feel hungry or tired at all. 

The only thing that broke me out of my own thoughts was the sound of Kit's voice from the doorway. 

"You seem pretty busy there, honey." He smiled, leaning up against the doorframe with a boyish smile on his face.

I turned around to face him, putting my paintbrush-equipped arm down to my side. A smile subconsciously grew on my lips at seeing him and I motioned for him to come into the room. 

"Do you want me to bring you anything? You haven't left the room in about 3 hours." He asked.

"No. And you didn't have to get me the biggest possible canvas, that's what's taking me so long." I pointed out, leaning my frame against his as we looked up at the canvas together from a distance.

"Alright, honey, I'll come back then in a little while."

Kit planted a short kiss on my cheek before leaving me alone in the room again to work on the painting. All I'd done was paint the entire surface in a single layer of black with a few tints of other colors in it. Now I started using the rest of the colors and painted nine spheres orbiting the Sun neatly over the top of the black paint. Each one was filled in with a unique color or pattern, characteristic to the planet they were meant to represent. I had an encyclopedia flipped open to a page on the solar system just to make sure I painted them on in the right order.

Ever since that thing happened to Kit and his previous two wives, it was fascinating to me about what else was out there in the sky. I did, of course, have that fear that maybe something would come pluck me off the face of the Earth like the others but Kit assured me that nothing bad could happen to me. After all, Grace and Alma did come back perfectly healthy. Their children were absolute angels too, both of them still living in the house with their father and myself. 

I let the oils dry for a little bit before adding on thick textures and sat down to observe it from a small distance away. Coincidentally, Kit happened to walk by again and came to sit down beside me with some lunch and a warm mug of coffee. He wrapped an arm over my shoulders and held my close to his own body, saying that the painting looked beautiful.

"I'm so glad I got all that art stuff that I know nothing about because this looks like it should be in a museum." He chuckled.

"Is this at all what it looked like?" I asked.

"Well no, it was completely white everywhere and had more of a creepy sense to it. This is much nicer." 

"Oh. Well I'm glad you like it then. I wanted to make it look like whatever you saw up there but if it creeps you out, then I guess this is better."

"Of course! You made it and that makes it nice no matter what you painted. But I do love how it looks too, baby." He said, leaning in towards me and placing a few kisses on my neck. 

"Careful you don't eat any paint, Kit, it looks like I dressed up as a Jackson Pollock piece because I have splashes of paint all over me." I chuckled.

"You're my favorite Pollock painting." He joked, trying to make a stupid pick-up line.

I rolled my eyes, wrapping my arms loosely around his shoulders and kissing his temple. Thinking about how far we'd come and what he meant to me warmed my heart, almost bringing a few happy tears to my eyes. Kit was so brave and too kind to have gone through everything from before, with the Briarcliff torture or Alma or Grace or being accused of such brutal murders. He seemed to notice my thoughtful silence and asked me if I was okay.

"Do you need to rest or somethin'? You seem pretty quiet." Kit asked, using his pointer finger to direct my chin towards facing him.

"No, I'm just thinking about how you had to go through all those terrible things." I explained.

"It was worth it to get to this point, sweetheart." He chuckled, tickling my nose with one of the few clean paintbrushes. 

"Kit, you're too sweet." I said, planting a short peck on his soft lips.

He pulled me onto his lap and kept his arms around my shoulders. The paint was definitely dry enough to add another layer over, but the painting was completely forgotten then. We didn't leave the room for the rest of the day but were completely occupied with something besides finishing the solar system painting.