11: Caretaking (Langdons)

A/N: Hope you guys are liking these, don't be shy in telling me if you have any ideas or suggestions for these. Thanks for reading!

Reader is a babysitter/nanny for (younger) Michael and interacts with Constance

"I can't seem to get any nannies to stay with this troublesome boy, he's such a handful." Constance admitted while leading me up the stairs to her grandson's room.

"Oh, well I'm sure it won't be any trouble." I smiled, trying to stay positive in appearance even if her comments were making me kind of nervous.

She chuckled in disbelief at me. No matter how tough this kid apparently was, I was even more desperate for a job. If I didn't get any money in soon, I'd be kicked out of my apartment and I didn't even have a car to live in if that happened. I'd babysat when I was younger for neighbors and they'd give me generous amounts just because they knew me. My hope was that this Constance lady was able to pay me about the same amount because I was older now and could take proper care of a kid. 

Constance leaned against the doorframe and knocked at the door of what I assumed was her grandson's room. She pinched the bridge of her nose as though she felt tense about the whole situation. Her manicured hand reached up to fix part of her retro-looking hairstyle before saying anything through the door.

"Michael? Can we come in?" She questioned.

"No!" A voice whined, muffled from the other side of the door.

"I wasn't asking if you wanted us to come in. I meant to ask if you were decent." His grandmother replied strictly.

Their dynamic definitely wasn't very friendly after hearing her commanding tone towards him and his obstinance against anything she said to him. And all this I figured out in just the few minutes I was in the Langdons' house.

"Yeah, I'm decent." He replied finally, his voice giving me the impression that he was pouting and had his arms crossed over his chest.

Constance opened the door, motioning her head inside the room to hint that I should come inside and meet her grandson. To say I felt surprised at what I saw was an understatement. Constance talked about her grandson like he was a young boy and the tone he had in responding to her through the door suggested the same thing. But Michael, sitting exactly as I pictured him to be, looked older than me. He had a head of golden curly hair and stunning blue eyes. 

"Michael, this will be your new nanny." Constance introduced.

He just kept sitting on his bed with a pout and his arms crossed, observing me.

"Hi Michael." I smiled shyly.

"Michael, say hello." Constance instructed through gritted teeth.

"Hi." He muttered.

"Now, I'm going to go out to the Korean's and fetch some things then have my hair re-done. You be good and don't you dare make a mess for me like you did with the last few." She warned, making me grow very curious over what she was talking about.

I didn't have any time to ask her the several questions in my mind because she already went down the stairs and left the two of us together.

"So, what do you like to do?" I asked, sitting down beside him on the bed.

"I don't know." He shrugged.

"Would your grandma be okay if we went down to the kitchen? You can help me make cookies if you want." I proposed.

Michael's eyes lit up for the first time at the mention of cookies. He nodded quickly and excitedly took my hand. He then led me downstairs into the kitchen and sat down at one of the chairs like an obedient little kid. His clear blue eyes followed me as I explored their kitchen and answered any questions that I had if I couldn't find something.