27: "She's a Rainbow" (Lana Winters)

A/N: please give me any thoughts you have on posted chapters & any requests you might have for these. I haven't written anything R-rated here but I can if you guys want. Hope you enjoy and thanks for voting!

Reader is a artist and loves Lana's writing then meets her at a book signing, title from the Rolling Stones song (featured in AHS: Apocalypse) I added my favorite lyric video for it

"Everyone, please form a line to approach Miss Winters so she can sign your book copies." The book store owner directed the crowd.

I'd been waiting for this moment for months. Lana Winters was my favorite writer and I admired her incredible bravery in suffering through the brutal conditions of Briarcliff. There'd been rumors that she made most of it up and it wasn't that bad; even if only half the things were true, she was a national hero. 

Months ago I'd heard Miss Winters would be doing a small tour of-sorts to sign books for her admirers and immediately bought an art canvas. I obviously had a copy of "Maniac" but I wanted to give her something in return for the inspiration she gave me and for the mental healthcare reform she brought on. My piece would have to be bold, yet almost regal. Lana Winters was a fashionable lady, no doubt, but there was an undeniable confidence and determination behind those neat first-lady like dresses. 

I'd taken out all the paints I had then and went to work on the background of the blank canvas. There would be varying almost tie-dye looking interactions with each of the different colors and smaller speckles of dark colors. I had to lay the canvas to dry out for a day at a time as I added more and more layers to only the background part. My next idea was to paste on some lightly distressed pieces of newspaper titles about Lana and snipped out words from these papers that I associated with her: unstoppable, truth-seeking, talented, heroic, courageous. 

In the center was a large, and very detailed, portrait of Lana I'd completed based on a well-focused magazine image of her at a press event. She was looking up slightly with her hair perfectly styled and a stony look in her dark eyes. I remember watching a televised portion of the press interview and connecting the image as a reaction to a dumb, sexist remark one of the reporters made towards her. Lana responded with a snappy and clever comment then moved on without giving him another second of time. 

I'd taken so long to create this piece and signed my name as small as possible so it didn't take too much canvas space, preparing for this moment. There was only one other person in front of me in line to get to the table. I could feel my heart starting to race and my palms sweat. The person walked on to Lana and handed her their copy of her book, giving her a name to make the autograph out for. I lost focus, hearing Lana's angelic voice so calmly address a fan like me. 

"Alright, next!" The book shop owner said, waving me over. 

I could feel all the nerves rushing to my head, my cheeks turning red as I approached the woman. She was smiling politely, holding a pen at the ready to sign my book now. It took a moment for me to gather myself before opening my mouth. 

"Hello, Ms. Winters. I hope you don't mind, but I'm an artist and I made this a little while ago just for this occasion." I informed her, revealing the brightly colored canvas with her face on it. 

I placed it on the surface of the table, turning it over so Lana could observe it. An aghast expression came over her face before a larger smile broke out upon her red-stained lips. She took it by the edges and carefully placed it down beside the table.

"I'll make sure to take it home with me, it's simply magnificent. Do you have any other pieces at a gallery or your own studio? I might stop by if you give me an address." Lana asked.

"Oh I'm not that big yet. It's my goal, though." 

"Maybe you could give me a business number to call if I have any friends looking for paintings and once you get that gallery opened."

"Of course, Miss Winters! I can write it down on the back of the canvas there." 

"Please, call me Lana. Is there a book you'd want me to sign for you? I'd be happy to do that for you, especially with this beautiful painting." 

I nodded with a grin, placing my book in front of her and signing my phone number on the back of my own painting. Her reaction was more than I could've dreamed of; she was an absolute darling and actually did call me a few days later just to talk. We became closer friends- I did art pieces for her and she'd invite me places then helped me open up my own gallery. Throughout all my work, however, the initial Lana Winters painting was my best piece and I was proud to have gifted it to the brilliant author herself.