ONE

In this cruel world, only the strong survive. Experience's taught me to leave my emotions and petty, righteous thoughts aside if I want to stay alive; trust is what gets people killed. In the end, human instinct prevails over everything else, and you won't find a single person in this shithole who'd risk their life to save yours - thinking otherwise makes you a fool. When it comes to the push, we're all capable to do unspeakable things in order to keep breathing  we keep fighting. That's the reason I'm alive today.❞ ㅡ Galene Magnolia

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

Chapter one:

UNDERGROUND

The underground was a completely different world.

There were no birds, the wind didn't blow, and the smell of junk and garbage prevailed in the dirty streets. But, most importantly, sunlight never seeped through; its rays remained blocked by the rocky ceiling above the poor people who had been forced to live inside that hole in the ground due to lack of space or prisons in the cities outside. 

Criminals of all kind dwelled within; violence, murder and depravation took place in every nook without compunction. Law never stopped by to keep them away; if anything, those with power encouraged thugs to fight and found joy in the sight of blood and pain. And if that wasn't enough to pose a threat, famine and diseases from lack of sunlight or sanitation did.

Way too many roamed the streets without shelter, yet the only sound that could be heard inside that cave came from the men that wouldn't stop ordering the less fortunate around, as though they were the kings of the city.

Well, if they had such privilege, they definitely wouldn't be wasting their pathetic lives down here  surrounded by trash.

Galene Magnolia clicked her tongue in aversion as another pair of men walked past the building on whose balcony she was resting, yelling at each other about pointless things. Her feet dangled over them as she distractedly swayed her legs. The window glass that she was leaning against was so cold that the cloak she wore was useless against it, but she welcomed it; it was always way too hot in that shithole. 

Sighing, she ran a hand through her long, red-velvet hair as an attempt to comb it and mentally cursed when her fingers got tangled with the locks.

She mumbled some more curses under her breath before pulling out a cigarette, only to groan. "You've got to be kidding me."

Her brown gaze fell upon the two men who were still arguing in the empty street, and an idea flashed in her mind. Landing like a feather on glass, Galene made no noise and approached them with determined steps. "Do you have a lighter?" Her voice was flat; her expression blank.

They stopped arguing to look at her.

"Uh?! Look at that, Marco; this scum thinks she can talk to us," one of them snarled.

A wave of irritation flooded her when his eyes wandered over her body, his expression turning into one of mild-interest as he did. A disgusted grin spread across Marco's face as he approached her. "She ain't looking that bad, this one. Already got the body of a woman."

"That's because I'm a woman, bastard," sneered Galene, her lips curled downwards as repugnance contorted her pale features.

"And she's a feisty one, as well!" He threw an arm over her shoulders, clueless about the waves of irritation radiating from her. "How about we keep her? Think I'll have some fun witㅡ"

The words died in his throat as her elbow connected with his stomach, causing him to gasp for breath and bend down. As his body slouched, Galene hit him on the back of his neck with the side of her hand. With wide eyes, the man dropped on the ground; his face slammed against the dirty surface with a thud. Quickly stomping on his head, which elicited a pained grunt from her victim, she drifted her gaze towards the other man.