TWELVE

I've never given a damn about opinions. This is how I am, and I'm not scared that the world will see. This is my way to survive, to feel no regrets. If you let emotions like that consume you, you may as well consider yourself dead.❞ ㅡ Galene Magnolia

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

Chapter twelve:

BLOOD AND TEARS

Galene scrunched her nose as the smell of rotten food and sweat reached her. Her brown eyes scanned her surroundings closely, taking in the dirty streets and cracked buildings. Glancing around, she caught sight of an old woman curled up against the wall of a shop whose sign was feebly swaying on a single chain. 

Remains of food and cigarettes were scattered all around, crunching under the weight of slim children as they slipped away between bins and fallen barrels. With their small hands full of bread and fruits, they ran as fast as their weak legs allowed them to and tried to escape those they had stolen from.

The Underground City had always been a dangerous, depressing place. Dark, hot and moistened due to the absence of fresh air ㅡ that was the first thing Galene had noticed. To live in such nasty area, one had to be strong-willed and able to stare death in its eyes.

Galene knew it too well. However...

"You can feel it too, can't you?" Levi asked next to her.

Narrowing her eyes upon the quiet district, Galene nodded ㅡ something was definitely different, off. They were standing on top of a building, assessing the situation and taking a moment to absorb everything. From there, she could reach to glimpse at the most dangerous part of the city; that suburb which no one would ever dare to approach ㅡ not even guards.

A bad feeling gripped her heart upon noticing the absence of thugs walking its streets, and the dark cloud that seemed to emanate from the broken buildings.

"Where are their minions? The place is usually plagued by them; they even had thugs in front of every damn door."

Levi crossed his arms over his chest. "It looks abandoned."

Galene pursed her lips in thought. And, for some reason, it's never felt so dangerous.

After grunting in displeasure, Levi turned away. "Let's go."

For some seconds, the woman stood there; observing, planning ahead. Then, she clicked her tongue and followed him through the crack on the ceiling. Her body felt lighter as she jumped inside, colder too. She was wearing normal clothes, just like Levi. Erwin had thought it appropriate to leave the uniform behind so they would blend in and not catch many curious eyes. 

To be honest, Galene didn't mind it; however, she did feel oddly anxious without her gear and blades.

As her feet landed behind Levi and she jogged to catch up with him, a familiar feeling took shape within her heart. Her instincts awoke from their slumber, her muscles tensed, and her eyes sharpened to remain alert as she slid out of the building.

Using the shade provided by her surroundings to conceal her form, something in her mind switched on and she jumped into action. Like a predator, she was quick on her feet and silent as Death itself.

Glancing back at Levi, she quirked an eyebrow at the strange silence coming from him. He was watching her, and Galene frowned as she tried to imagine what kind of thoughts were crossing his mind. "Stop staring and get over here, damn it."