SIX

The only thing we're allowed to do is to believe that we won't regret the choice we made.❞ ㅡ Levi Ackerman

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

Chapter six:

BICKERING

There was something beautiful about the world above, something magical. A fresh breeze blew from a long-lost horizon, ruffling the work of both humans and nature with soft hands. Non-artificial flowers decorated the bushes which guarded the path through which the robbers were being led. 

In one word, Galene would describe it as colourful ㅡ pure, even. Never in her life had she witnessed such battle of colours; from the darkest of blues tainting the sky to the bright green in which the ground swam.

It was utterly stunning, far more impressive than what she had been expecting. Because she had dreamed so, so many times of the infinite beauty that would be waiting away from that dirty hole in the ground, but reality did prevail over fantasy. 

And for the first time in her life, she was glad it was that way.

There was something else about it, however; way more wonderful than what lay below her feet, better yet than the soft breeze of the wind. When her brown eyes glanced into that sea of stars to welcome the powerful moonlight, Galene was overwhelmed by a sensation of freedom; as if the fact that she was outside had suddenly sunk in. 

Her gaze had been so focused on that seemingly-tiny ball of pure light, that her foot had collided with a rock on the path and she had stumbled. Her comrades had not showed any sign of having heard her unusual lack of grace, for they were drowned in a state of befuddlement themselves.

She breathed out, prey to absolute amazement, and inhaled deeply afterwards; if only to taste that freshness in the air thoroughly. However, as everything wonderful in life, an abrupt end took it all away.

The group of robbers had been led to a large gate, on whose other side the quarters of the Survey Corps stood in all their non-magnificence. A single building greeted them once the entrance was unlocked; one big enough to give shelter to the whole squadron, yet not so much to harbour room for training or whatever other activity the soldiers did in order to prepare themselves to face the gruesome Titans.

Galene was oddly disappointed by its simplicity.

"We're here. I expect you to behave," the deep voice of Erwin Smith called out.

Swearing under her breath, Galene hardened her stare on the blond man but refrained from speaking her thoughts as her sister stepped into sight. Her green eyes watched her warily, as though she was expecting an attack any moment then. Nevertheless, the youngest of the Magnolia siblings remained quiet, probably knowing better than to block her way; she had experienced first-hand how stubborn and volatile Galene was.

"I won't be babysitting you, brat."

Galene titled her head to glare at Levi, who walked some feet behind her. "Last time I checked," ㅡher lips pursed into an amused smirkㅡ "it was you who seemed to enjoy spending your free time cleaning up the house. Maybe you need to step up your game and become a nanny."

"I will kill you."

"Behave, Levi, behave."

Turning back to the man in charge, she gave him no time to retort and strutted in. The ground was vacant of life, she observed as she followed the Commander through the silent yard. No soul came out to see them in, which made her frown.