TWENTY-TWO

There are beautiful things in this cruel world, you just have to look closely and take every opportunity to find them. Only then will you understand the meaning of life, G.❞ ㅡ Johan

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

Chapter twenty-two:

MORE

His movements were quick and precise; his right foot traced the sandy ground as it fell back, before his left leg landed a hard kick on his opponent, sending him to stumble into a distracted soldier while Levi simply retracted his leg and crossed his arms. 

It was evident that Levi was still in form to fight and work; he had won every combat and challenge thrown at him, as if he hadn't been off duty for days. The irritation of those soldiers who had lost against him had yet to leave their faces; their jealousy was almost comical ㅡ Levi was simply too strong.

Had Farlan been anyone else, he would have been fooled by his impassive façade. But he had known the man for years, and his eye effortlessly caught those little details any other would miss.

Farlan noticed his hesitation ㅡ that slight stumble, his foot rotating to point towards where the horses were ㅡ before turning towards where he was sitting and walking over. He caught his grey eyes fleetingly glancing in that very same direction, of the glint that took over his uninterested expression as they found their target.

Farlan knew him far too well ㅡ there was no way he could be fooled. And he was certain something was up. The night before, Levi had turned up saying Galene was awake, and while they had been thrilled to hear the good news, there had been something in the way he had spoken about her that had raised suspicions in his mind. He hadn't voiced them, but he hadn't forgotten.

"Nice work," Farlan complimented with a smile as his friend sat down next to him. "Didn't look like you were even trying, though."

Grey eyes narrowed upon him, before Levi huffed. "Their attacks are too predictable," he retorted while leaning back against the bench. "But then again, I can't expect more from people who have been raised around here."

Humming in agreement, Farlan frowned and ran a hand through his blond hair. "The underground isn't an easy place," he commented, and then looked at him with pensive eyes. "Can't believe you were forced to go back."

It was all he had gotten out of Levi upon questioning him; those days of training had been anything but that. Apparently, Galene and him had been assigned an important mission no soul could know about.

With a click of his tongue, Levi shook his head and smirked subtly. "I was given a choice ㅡ I decided to go with her, and I don't regret it."

It was still something bizarre to Farlan; the woman had opened up to them as soon as Isabel had asked ㅡ ignoring his suggestions to give her a break first in the process ㅡ, had only complained once before confessing everything to them. The fact that she had done so without threatening them with punching their faces into their skulls was surprising enough, but he had never expected such backstory and revelations.

Isabel had taken it shockingly well; she was just happy that her sister was safe and sound, and the truth about her disappearance all those years ago had drawn a big smile on her face. Not once had she looked down upon finding out about her family roots.

"I don't care," she had said hotly. "You guys are my true family. As long as I have you, I have no reason to feel down."

Even Levi had almost smiled at that. And with a little bit of light shed upon those dark nooks, Farlan finally had the feeling they had formed an unstoppable alliance; the trust Galene had showed them had tightened their bond.