[special]

If we're open to it, the smallest of miracles can change our lives.

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

CHRISTMAS SPECIAL:

A MIRACLE

                  A frown was drawn on her face as she lay on her bed, hands under the pillow and knees pointing upwards. Music reached her ears, that annoying melody that seemed to repeat over and over again and was gradually driving her nuts. Somewhere in the building, people laughed and sang obnoxiously—Galene Magnolia thought it was more terrifying than the wail of a titan.

She wondered how many windows had broken because of that awful singing, but then she realized she didn't care and shrugged. Her eyes, however, glanced around the quiet room and found the window. She had closed it a while ago, as an attempt to keep the cold weather at bay; freezing to death wasn't in her plans, for now.

A creaking sound was heard as another gust of wind threatened to break through the glass and hit her, but no matter how feeble that building looked, its walls and windows were strong and could endure the attacks of Mother Nature just fine.

Galene closed her eyes, breathed out and opened them to glare at the dark ceiling.

What a joke, she huffed.

She was unable to see the point in that party going on downstairs, to understand the excitement a simple date brought to people. In the Underground City, there was no such thing as Christmas—how could there be? It was hard enough to survive; sometimes, Galene thought she wouldn't live to see another day.

What was there to celebrate, anyway? Perhaps that miserable piece of bread she had found in the street, or maybe getting out alive just barely from yet another fight.

Galene clicked her tongue in vexation; she was getting annoyed—that's what spending time alone did to her. Her thoughts, her ideas, her past... her mind overall wasn't a beautiful place full of happiness and hope; so being left alone with it for hours opened healed wounds and brought the worst out of her eventually.

Fortunately, the door cracked open and stopped her trail of thoughts. Glancing at it, she raised an eyebrow as her three friends walked in.

"Man, they really are throwing a party down there," Isabel whistled.

"This seems to be an important date for them," commented Farlan, also known as Captain Obvious in certain occasions.

Levi clicked his tongue.

"I couldn't care less."

And for once, Galene felt the same way—not that she was going to admit it to them.

"I don't know," Isabel drawled as she sat down on her bed. "I kinda like it. They get together, eat good food and party all night."

Galene rolled her eyes.

"Of course you'd like that," she muttered.

"But it's not just that!" Isabel puffed her cheeks, offended. "It's about spending time with your loved ones and miracles."

"Where did you hear that?" Farlan asked with an amused smile.

Isabel shrugged. "Here and there."

"That's just bullshit," Levi commented while crossing his arms.

Then, ignoring the glare from the girl, he walked over to where Galene was lying and sat down on the edge of her bed. Galene watched him with suspicious eyes; as if waiting for him to pull something and aggravate her. But he didn't do anything—he sat there, crossed arms and emotionless face.