FORTY

Sometimes we create our own heartbreaks through expectation.

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

Chapter forty:

NIGHTMARE UNDER THE TRAPDOR

The distant touch of moonlight swept the wooden floor beneath her bare feet when Galene slid the curtains open to cast a thoughtful glance at the sleeping world. A few clouds painted the midnight sky as they sailed away in a sea of bright stars. As a gust of wind sneaked inside and glided its cold fingers along her skin, a sigh of relief escaped her parted lips. For a moment, she allowed her body to relax and pushed every disturbing thought to an unreachable hole in the back of her mind.

But like it happens with all good things, her refreshing minute of peace came to an abrupt end. A knock on the door echoed in the dark room, before two people walked in.

"Ah, you're ready."

Galene turned towards them reluctantly, as if part of her wanted to remain under the serene stare of the moon.

"Although I'd recommend staying in bed until your wounds heal properly," Hange continued with a shake of her head.

Eyes meeting, the shorter woman hummed before replying, "Some wounds never truly heal."

Before a retort could be made, Galene glanced at the girl who was standing next to Hange. Her hair was blond, yet darker due to the lack of light in the room, and her blue eyes were staring at the intensely. There was an aura surrounding her; Galene could almost smell her determination from her spot by the unmade bed.

"I want to introduce someone to you," Hange spoke before she had the chance to ask. "This is Historia Reiss, daughter of the former king and future Queen of the Walls."

Surprise flared in her eyes as the revelation hung in the air between them, before Galene stepped up to the girl. "Why do you want to be queen?"

A genuine, soft smile formed on the face of the young girl. "To be quite honest, I don't. Or, should I say, I didn't. It's a responsibility I wasn't ready for."

"What made you change your mind?" Galene inquired; curiosity laced her voice.

Historia met her stare straight on. "I want to make up for the errors my father made and give humanity the chance we always had but never knew of. Until now, from what I heard."

Satisfied with her powerful, genuine words, Galene allowed a smirk to touch her lips.

"We should leave now," Hange chimed in, motioning for them to follow her outside. "They expect us back by tomorrow morning, given we find those documents you speak about."

With a slight frown, Galene placed her hands on her hips and let out a puff of hot air. "I know where I left them. But it's not going to be easy to get there."

"Which is why Erwin is sending a small party," added Hange while the three walked out.

Her muscles felt tense and sore with every step she took, but Galene paid no mind to them and followed the captain down dimly-illuminated hallways and spiral staircases. Fortunately, the wound on her back had been treated before having the chance to give birth to a troublesome infection, but it was still painful. An ugly, snake-shaped scar decorated the once-smooth skin — yet another one to add to her collection of life experiences.

Concern and anxiety had yet to abandon her exhausted mind, both born from a dark thought she couldn't push away. It had been two days; forty-eight hours since leaving the underground — since abandoning her people. Because she had allowed them to take her away; it was all part of a convoluted plan. Galene had known from the very beginning that she would have to leave them all to fence for themselves, in a situation less than favourable, without even expecting it.