FOURTEEN

The difference in judgement between you and me, originates from different rules derived from past experience.❞ ㅡ Levi Ackerman

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

Chapter fourteen:

MAGNOLIA

She was running, pushing through pain and exhaustion and praying for her legs to remain strong ㅡ to not give up. Her bare feet carried her down the dimly-illuminated street, crushing cigarettes and small rocks as they moved across the dirty ground. With no hesitation, she skilfully jumped over a barrel that was swaying in the middle of the alley after having fallen over when some kids had ran past, and then rounded a corner.

She knew the way, far too well. It was evident in the way she moved, in the way she seemed to blend with the place as if she was one with it. An old woman looked up as she rushed past, a sad glint crossed her tired eyes as she followed her with her gaze; she was so young, so small to be stuck in such messy, nasty situation.

But the Underground City was ruthless; there was no difference between children and adults, between sick and healthy.

The girl ran a hand up her forehead to get rid of the sweat coating it, and then ventured to glance over her shoulder. Her eyebrows knitted together as she caught sight of her pursuers those thugs weren't going to give up easily; she was sure of it.

Quickly glancing at her surroundings, her mind traced the map of the city and showed her where she was. Determined, she stepped into an alleyway to her left. A tall, metal fence stood at the end of the street, separating it from the next one.

She halted, pursed her lips in thought. Then, she jumped into action.

Ignoring the pain exploding in her feet she was certain they were bleeding by that point, for it felt as though needles were piercing the skin , the girl rushed towards the fence and propelled her body towards the highest point she could reach.

Her tiny hand gripped the metal, held on to it to pull herself higher. Hearing footsteps approaching, she bit the inside of her mouth and kept climbing up the fence.

"There she is. Get her!" a man barked behind her.

But it was too late.

Just as they caught up, her hand got a hold of the end of the fence and she swiftly pushed her body up and over it. For a second, she caught a glimpse of the shock on their faces as she held her body upside down with a single hand.

She had the guts to send them a wink.

Then, she leaped in the air and fell into a big bin that was full of trash. Scrunching up her nose, she paid no mind to the disgusting liquids sticking to her thin clothes and hopped out. The thugs were still at the other side of the fence, staring at her in disbelief.

"Amateurs," she commented in a drawl.

With a smug smirk, she flicked them off and disappeared around another corner.

Some minutes later, she was sneaking inside a building like any other through one of its cracked windows. Her right foot shot a wave of pain up her leg as she landed inside, and a grimace formed on her dirty face as she cast a quick glance around.

"Isabel?" she called out.

Soon enough, a younger girl no older than four appeared from behind a broken piece of furniture. Her big, green eyes were wide in fear, yet a smile spread on her face at the sight of her sister.