NINETEEN

Willpower alone isn't enough in battle.❞ ㅡ Armin Arlet

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

Chapter nineteen:

EVERHART

He was forced to follow Cornelia Everhart towards the headquarters of the infamous organization; his wrists were tied with sharp wires, and a grimace was plastered on his face. His expression would turn into one of disdain and vexation whenever one of those brainless thugs demanded him to walk faster and stop clicking his tongue, and Levi couldn't wait for the moment when his foot would slam against their mouths and teeth and blood would splatter on the dirty ground. 

For the time being, however, his situation pushed him to bite his tongue and do as told.

Sneaking a glance towards Johan, he was not surprised to see him gritting his teeth and glaring daggers at the back of the woman. He peered at his strapped wrists, only to catch a glimpse of a trail of blood rolling down his hands ㅡ the man had struggled until injuring himself, that idiot.

As they rounded a corner and made their way down the main street of the suburb, Levi turned his eyes towards what the warehouse was supposed to be. Black smoke surrounded the area, floating upwards to fade into the rocky ceiling of the Underground City. Had his hands been free, Levi would've covered his mouth to prevent such nasty substance to slip through his nostrils; but it wasn't the case, so he had to content himself with scrunching his nose in distaste instead.

"Fucking bitch," he heard Cornelia mutter, causing him to look her way. "She will pay."

His eyes narrowed upon her, before he drifted his attention towards the remains of the building. Ashes permeated the air, and it was hot ㅡ too fucking hot. Wooden planks were spread all around, broken boxes and bodies lay on the ground.

Suddenly, she tilted her head towards Levi and sent him a sardonic smile. "Seems like your girl just made it there."

Levi refused to acknowledge her; he simply followed after her as they walked into the headquarters. They walked up a flight of stairs, turned some corners and continued making their way down a long corridor until Cornelia stopped before a door that was ajar.

Her smirk was cruel ㅡ even if Galene had taken after her sharp features, that woman looked nothing like her. Cornelia pushed the door open and stepped in, not bothering to be cautious.

Levi couldn't see what was happening inside the room, as he was forced to wait outside. He clicked his tongue, struggled against the wires and bit back a growl. He needed to find a way to free himself as soon as possible.

"Now, now," Cornelia sang. "Is that a way to treat your father, baby doll?"

"Take another step, and I'll slit his throat." 

His chest constricted, his stomach twitched. Levi found himself freezing at the sound of her voice; his eyes widened as he was assaulted by a feeling he wasn't acquaintances with. But then... realization hit him.

Something dreadful formed in the pit of his stomach, and Levi instantly knew the situation was about to get uglier. And he was... worried; he dared to admit. Even if part of him was still mad at her for leaving on a suicidal mission, for knocking him out, for keeping so many important things from him...

He couldn't fathom the thought of losing her.

His train of thought came to a halt as he was grabbed by his hair and dragged inside the room. His eyes clashed with her brown ones, and he saw the shock written all over her face. Her hand was gripping a knife, keeping it close to a man's ㅡ Dan Everhart ㅡ throat.