TWENTY-EIGHT

Those who shoot must be ready to get shot.❞ ㅡ Galene Magnolia

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

Chapter twenty-eight:

WHAT ISABEL SAW

Twelve hours ago

As promised, Galene was allowed to ride with her injured sister on the way back to the Walls. The wooden cart was uncomfortable and bounced with every step, which she found incredibly irritating. But she bit her tongue to stop a trail of curses from leaving her mouth; the situation she was in was ugly enough as it was, and she couldn't allow her lack of patience and self-control to cause a bigger mess.

With a click of her tongue, Galene ran a hand along the side of her face and grimaced at the amount of cold sweat yet to dry up. Glancing around, she was met with exhausted expressions and sombre faces; only horses remained impassive, too unintelligent to understand or feel the soldiers' pain.

"Are we there yet?" Isabel rasped out.

Galene looked up, past the many ㅡ yet far fewer than they were initially ㅡ soldiers and horses, and towards the approaching Walls. "We'll be there soon."

"Geez, so slow..."

Pursing her lips, Galene forced out a smirk ㅡ for her sake. The girl was breathing heavily, panting and puffing as she held on to that invisible thread to stay awake. Leaning back, Galene drifted her gaze to the sky and allowed it to get lost in the infinite colours as dawn approached from the horizon.

"Gal... I don't think they will let me be a soldier anymore."

Her eyes closed, before the woman inwardly sighed and glanced down. A glance full of meaning was shot her way, and Galene held his gaze for a fleeting moment. She noticed his shoulders were slightly-slouching, as if he were carrying a weight too heavy to be able to stand still.

"It's not the end of the world," Isabel mumbled with a smile that was supposed to look reassuring yet was anything but. "Bet those damn Titans are... happy, though."

An alarm went off in her head, and Galene suddenly remembered her short conversation with Levi, who was staring ahead again. "Speaking of," she started, "what exactly happened?"

Isabel seemed to think deeply, for her brows furrowed. "I... don't know."

"Levi said you saw an Abnormal, staring before running off."

A tired smile formed on her lips, and Galene had to blink to snap from the shock it caused her.

"Did I?" She coughed before taking a deep, shaky breath. "It's... weird; everything is so blurry. I can't... think straight."

Sighing through her nose, Galene patted her arm cautiously and allowed her to restore her strength.

"She's in a lot of pain, Galene. It's a miracle she's even conscious," Hange commented in a low voice, as to not disturb the wounded girl. "Add exhaustion to it, and you'll get a delirious mind."

"You think she imagined it?" 

Hange narrowed her eyes at the upcoming Walls. "No."

"Then what are you suggesting, shitty glasses?" Levi cut in.

"I'm saying that she's far too exhausted to give a detailed story of what truly happened back there," Hange explained, not bothered by his insult. "I'm certain we will get our answers when she's recovered."