THIRTY-THREE

Dear Haters, I have so much more for you to be mad at. Just be patient.❞ ㅡ Galene Everhart

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

Chapter thirty-three:

THE BEGINNING OF THE END

On the other side of the Walls, far from the safety that prevailed in cities and towns, a giant field of tall grass and poisonous plants spread towards a distant horizon. Unmistakable footprints had long since been drawn along the green carpet, no matter the attempts of the rain to erase the temporary presence of horses and soldiers for good. Marching towards sunset, the remaining rays of the sun shone upon rivers of gelid water as they crept away from humanity, bringing a refreshing breeze to those who waited within thick forests and deep caves.

Because there were beings in those woods, hiding within the undergrowth and up on strong branches. They were waiting, thirsty, to receive the order to strike and put an end to the fight between titans and humanity.

A boy no older than ten was leaning against the trunk of one tree like any other, biting on a green apple as his brown eyes watched his friend get beaten up by a girl. There was nothing he could do to aid; it was not his fight, and his shoulder had yet to recover from that last punch she had thrown his way only a minute ago. Titan powers or not, there was no healing quickly when it came to Annie's attacks.

"Reiner," someone called as he finished his apple and threw the remains to the ground.

Reiner Braun turned around, already knowing who was demanding his attention. His superior pushed his glasses up the brick of his nose before motioning for the two that were still fighting to approach, as well.

"Is it time?" Bertholdt Hoover inquired in a timid voice; for a Titan as colossal as he was when transformed, he was unexpectedly quiet and shy.

The man gave a curt nod and started his way away from their home in the deepest part of the woods, unbothered about the Titans that could be lurking nearby ㅡ after all, those beings only attacked when they were ordered to.

"Is M'lady coming, as well?" Reiner asked as the three children followed him.

"Reiner," his friend exclaimed in a whisper, eyes wide.

His question was bold, and the woman wouldn't have taken it lightly had she been within earshot. Fortunately for him, he was dealing with someone way more understanding and easy to talk to.

His beard wrinkled as Zeke sent him a slight smile over his shoulder. "She is busy today."

"Oh," was all he replied.

Blue eyes narrowed upon him, before the only girl present pulled a bored expression. She was no fan of M'lady; in fact, she loathed her existence. But much to her dismay, there was nothing Annie could do against her, for the woman was too strong and had too many followers ㅡ she was untouchable.

Once they reached the border of the forest, Zeke turned to them with a serious expression. "Remember your mission, my warriors."

Reiner nodded. "Destroy the Wall."

"Retrieve the Founding Titan," added Berholdt, "and the rest."

"Win the war," Annie muttered.

Satisfied, the man patted their heads in affection. "This is it, kids. Show me how much you've grown."

Three heads nodded.

"And don't forget," Zeke lowered his voice, "about the most important part of the plan. Without it, we won't win. Annie, I trust you to carry out this mission."

Her blue eyes locked on the horizon as a distant look crossed them, giving away the impression she was lost in thought. After a fleeting moment, she glanced at him. "Find the Devil and bring it home, to M'lady."

Zeke smiled. "Go, my warriors."

He watched them turn towards the distant Walls, away from their home in the forest ㅡ a place they wouldn't see in many years. And then...

Lightning.

END OF PART ONE