TWENTY-SIX

If we do nothing but run, then all we can do is get caught.❞ ㅡ Levi Ackerman

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

Chapter twenty-six:

OLD FACES

Galene hoped off of the horse the moment her eyes landed on the lying form of her sister. Heart skipping a beat as panic rushed down her veins, she swiftly dodged the soldiers standing around the glade and ran over to the cart.

"Galene," Farlan called as she pushed past him without sparing him a glance. "Waitㅡ"

Yanking her arm from his sudden grip, she shot him a warning look before reaching Isabel. Green eyes glanced her way the second she stopped next to the wooden cart and looked down, and a weak smile responded to her alarmed stare. Doing her best not to demand answers from the girl, Galene gripped the wood tightly and locked her jaw.

Isabel let out a dry chuckle, amused by something the woman failed to understand. "It's not as bad as it looks, Gal," she rasped out before taking a shaky breath. "I will be fine."

Bullshit, she wanted to shout. It was just as bad as it looked; half of her right leg was... gone ㅡ it had been bitten off, by the looks of it. Blood seeped from the wound, but a cloth had been wrapped around it as to stop her from losing too much of it. Dirt covered her face and left side, and Galene wondered what exactly had happened. However, she knew her sister had enough on her plate; she was breathing heavily, her eyes glazing over every time she blinked feebly.

Out of pure instinct, Galene reached to grab her hand.

"You were right," Isabel suddenly whispered with a soft smile.

"About?"

"Levi saved me."

Levi.

She looked around, searching for said man. She found him standing some feet away, turned away from them and staring straight ahead. As if feeling her stare, he tilted his head and met her eyes fleetingly. A frown settled on her forehead as Levi turned away again, before she averted her gaze to look at Isabel.

"Go," the girl urged, having witnessed their exchange. "I'll be fine."

Footsteps approached then.

"I'll take care of her, Galene. You can ride with her on the way back," Hange offered while clasping a hand on to her shoulder.

"Butㅡ"

"He needs you," Hange interrupted her with a stern look. "Talk to him."

Her stomach twisted unpleasantly at her words, but it was all she needed to give in. Sending her a curt nod, she squeezed Isabel's hand and walked over to where Levi stood.

"There's blood on you," he stated before she could open her mouth, as if he knew she would approach.

Galene pursed her lips and glanced down at her sleeve. "Not mine." She grimaced; it was evidently Titan's blood.

"It's filthy."

Irked, she was tempted to hit him but stopped herself as her eyes fell upon his features. Sighing, she asked, "What happened?"

"An ugly-ass Titan did," he replied in a hiss.

"An Abnormal?" she ventured to guess, remembering the black smoke coming from the forest.