Chapter 8

Chapter 8
Luke's POV

Class finally ended and it was time for lunch. I was starving. I'm hoping they have some chocolate pudding today. We all gathered in a line to head to the bathroom to wash our hands. Gabe was right behind me.

We went in to the bathroom to wash Kota and Nathan was already washing their hands. Victor was off to the side waiting. There's only three sinks and three stalls to use the bathroom. Gabe walked up to Victor and said, " Oy do you want to sit with us today at lunch and Kota and Nathan can join us. That way you can go get your books afterwards and not having to sit alone." He turns to Kota and Nathan, " you cool with that."

Nathan looked at Kota and shrugged his shoulders. Kota wiped his hands and pushed up his glasses. They both came to stand by me and turned to Gabe. Kota cleared his throat, "That's fine by us. It will also make it easier on Victor not getting lost in the crowd and we loose time searching for each other. We will meet you outside. Thank you for the invite."

They both walked out since they were already finished. Victor and Gabe went next while I waited for another boy to hurry. When he finally finished I hurried to wash my hands that way we don't get in trouble. Victor and Gabe was already waiting by the door. We all three walked out into the hallway and back into the line.

We began moving towards the lunch room. Today is pizza day. You always being a dollar to get another slice. Most of the food is tolerable but pizza day is the bomb. It was a Kids duty to  get an extra slice of pizza. Uncle gave me two dollars today with a little persuasion. One for me and Gabe.

Gabe's dad doesn't really give him any money. Uncle knows bout Gabe's family. He knows that his mom and little brother died from a car accident. Gabe was only 4 when it happened. They were going to get ice cream one Saturday evening. Gabe and his dad was on the driver's side and his little brother and mom the passenger side. His dad was pulling out of the street at the stop sign to turn left on Mulberry Street to head into town. Another car was speeding and hit the passenger side of their vehicle. The driver was drunk. Gabe's car flipped three times from being hit so hard. His dad got a broken arm and a concussion. Gabe since he was smaller received a broken femur in his right leg, 2 broken ribs and bruises all over. His mom suffered the most impact. Her chest was crushed puncturing her lung and a piece of metal was pushed inside of her stomach. She died on the way to the hospital from loosing so much blood. His little brother Isaiah was killed on the scene.

Gabe tells me he still has nightmares from it. I hope one day it's not as painful anymore for him. His dad remarried two years ago to Ms. Pam. She is a beautician and cut Gabe's hair when his mother came in for a trim along with Gabe. His dad just kept bringing him back to her.

Our class finally made it to the lunch room. I was so excited that I began to bounce on the balls of my feet. We stayed in line that way Mrs. Shubert's didn't get upset even though all the kids wanted to rush into line to be first to receive the glorious mouthwatering pizza. One of the joys of this school is that we don't have to sit with our class. We can sit anywhere.

I tapped Gabe while we was in line. He turned his head towards me. "Hey dude, send a message up to Kota to tell them to meet us by the corner under the window for our usual spot." He knodded his head and tapped the person in front of him until he motioned for it to continue up the line to Kota since him and Nathan were talking.

Kota started to turn after being tapped on the shoulder and looked towards the kid behind him. The kid turned and pointed to us since we were 5 kids behind them. "Oy, Kota meet us at our usual spot under the window by the corner." As Gabe waved his thumb towards me and him to indicate our spot and pointed over where we sit. Kota knodded his head and gave a thumbs up to us. " Oy, Victor just follow us when we get out." He smiles and knods his head.