Part 3~ The island

"Run Chii! Quick! Save yourself!"

"No! I'm not leaving you behind! We're leaving together, or die together!"

"Don't be a fool! Do you really want the world thinks that this whole thing is an accident? Go! As long as one of us survives the real story will be revealed!"

"But Yabu-kun-"

"JUST GO!!!!"

"Chii?"

Chinen opens his eyes. The initial blurry sights become clearer, and Chinen sees Hikaru and Ryutaro at his sides. The feeling of the gentle breeze and the sounds of the waves hitting the shore accompany the setting sun.

"Yukatta..." Hikaru is finally able to breathe at ease. Ryutaro helps the weak boy to sit.

Chinen looks around. "Where are we?"

"At the shore. You were unconscious for hours now. You must be very hungry. I'll get you some food," Ryutaro leaves the two boys and runs into the woods.

"Where's Yabu-kun...Yama-chan? Where's everyone?"

Hikaru hesitates to reply. He grabs the pale boy's hand and holds it tight. "We don't know."

"What do you mean?"

"We haven't seen them since we got on the emergency boat. Only those who were able to board made it to the shore, but the others..."

"Souka..." Chinen is at the brink of tears again. Yama-chan lies. You said we'll be fine. Look what happened to us now. Yabu-kun, are you guys safe?

"Ma.. ma..Don't worry. They'll be fine. The captain was with them right? I'm sure he'll keep Yabu and Yama-chan safe. Yuto, Keito and Inoo have gone to search for them with the crew too. Daijyobu," Hikaru tries to make Chinen feels better.

Chinen didn't reply. He grasps the white sand with his free hand, letting it flow through his fingers, staring at it with disappointment. Why does this has to be this way? This is not how we planned it.

"I'll see if Ryu-chan needs help."

Hikaru was about to leave when Chinen grabs his wrist.

"Can you stay with me?" the boy pleads. Without further notice he wraps his hand around Hikaru's waist, burying himself on the older boy's chest; weeping.

"Chii..." Hikaru gently strokes Chinen's hair, later embraces the boy tight. He understands how Chinen might feel. He must be taking the blame to his paranoid self, relating the unfortunate event to his nightmares. Are they really related?

_______________________________

The three boys walk back to the shore with exhaustion. They collapse onto the sand the moment they reached the awaiting boys. Disappointment clearly painted on their tired faces.