Part 4: The serial murderer

They take turn patrolling in pairs that night, with exception of Ryutaro and Chinen

They take turn patrolling in pairs that night, with exception of Ryutaro and Chinen. However Hikaru isn't able to sleep; the horrifying pictures of the poor crew keep lingering in his mind.

First the storm and now a murderer? What exactly is going on in this island?

Hikaru scratches his head several times, keep changing his posture every single minute. There's no way he can rest tonight. The fear of being attack overcomes his tiredness. From where he lies he could see Yuto resting his head on Keito's shoulder, trying to keep each other warm. Yuto may even be sleeping. The tall boy took most of the major tasks today- helping him during the storm, searching for the two missing boys and the worst is seeing the deadly sight. Keito tries to stay awake by playing around with the fire, keep throwing small sticks into it.

Hikaru shifts so that he is now sleeping on his right side. Chinen is sleeping next to him, while Ryutaro is snoring between Takaki and Daiki. Inoo chose to be on his own at another corner close to where the patrol boys sit. Every now and then Hikaru could hear sobs coming from Inoo's direction.

He must be worrying about Yabu and Yama-chan.

Who doesn't? There is no sign that the boys are anywhere near them, leave a lone to know if they are safe- or should Hikaru really ask- alive?

How are they going to leave the island? Will the rescue team come for them? How long will it take? A day? A week? A month?

Will they survive?

"Hikaru-kun," Chinen turns himself to face the older boy who is drowned in his thought.

Hikaru smiles at Chinen. He could see the adorable face in the dim night, the innocent look that soothes his worries for a moment.

"What's wrong Chii?"

"Are we all going to die?"

Hikaru's hand slowly moves to get the younger boy's head, stroking it gently. "No. We will be rescued anytime soon."

"I'm scared Hikaru-kun..."

"Don't worry, I'll protect you. I'll protect all of you. I swear with my life."

Chinen gazes deeply into Hikaru's eyes. "I trust you."

"Rest for tonight ok? We'll talk tomorrow morning," the older boy withdraws his hand but Chinen was fast to catch Hikaru's wrist.

"Can I hold your hand?" Chinen spontaneously asks.

Hikaru shakes his head. "No, but you can sleep in my arms."

Without thinking twice Chinen immediately hugs the older boy, letting go of his worries as he is being spoiled by Hikaru. He rubs his head on Hikaru's chest several times, just like what he always does to his giant soft toys in his room.

But Chinen's attitude gives a strange feeling to Hikaru. Something he never felt before, something that is so fresh and strong that gives him the willpower to protect the young boy in his arm. He stares at Chinen who immediately fall asleep on his chest.

"Good night Chii," he kisses Chinen's forehead, before wrapping his hands around the sleeping boy again. There are still a few hours before the sun will come out. Hikaru can only pray that nothing will happen until the lights lit the day.

_________________________________

"Where are you going?" Keito asks Inoo who is getting ready to set off to the shore.

"To the beach," Inoo replies without looking at the younger boy.

"Alone? It's too dangerous. You heard the boys last night, there's a murderer on the island. Just stay here until morning."

"Then I won't be able to see the beautiful sunrise."

"Inoo-kun, don't be too-"

"Please Keito, I need some time alone. I'm going insane," tears start to form in Inoo's eyes.

Keito feels sympathy to the poor boy who just lost his boyfriend. Inoo must be overwhelmed by the grief. It's understandable.

"All right. But scream our names if anything happen ok?" reluctantly Keito let the older boy go. Inoo nods, leaving the others behind.

It's almost dawn. The chilly morning breeze hits his face. This is the first time Inoo ever feel lonely and depress in these past few years. He doesn't want to admit it, but looking at the current circumstances he knows that Yabu is gone. There is no way anyone can survive in the accident. Imagining Yabu's body sinking deep into the sea with the boat tore Inoo's heart apart. Not only he lost his lover, but also he can never make a proper funeral for him and Yamada.

Why thing has to turn out this way? Ko-chan, what am I suppose to do? Why did you leave me?

Inoo is not sure how much more he can take. He knows he is supposed to look after the younger boys in this situation, but the pressure on him is just too much. He can barely take it, and honestly he is at his limit. He may break down anytime soon.

Bit by bit the sun exposes itself, radiating the lights and the warmth to the cold boy who is sitting at the shore by himself. He closes his eyes for a moment before opens them back, revealing a shocking sight. A man is coming in his way.

Am I dreaming? No, the waves and the sand are real. And my body still aches from yesterday's unfortunate event.

The man gets closer every second. Inoo stops breathing seeing a familiar face with an axe on one hand. For a moment his mind goes blank. He is all confused.

This must be hallucination- I'm going crazy!

What should I do? Should I run, or should I confront? What if he is the murderer?

Inoo gets on his feet, getting ready to speed off.

But what if it's him?

Inoo turns. He is now only a few meters away from the man- and the axe. He gathers all his courage to not move from where he stands.

"Ko-chan, is that you?"

~to be continued~