1

KARA

Why does life have to be so unfair?

What have I done to deserve such heartbreak?

'Start packing up. We're leaving in a week'.

There were no other words more heartbreaking than these.

I don't want to move.

I don't want to transfer schools.

I don't want to meet new people.

I especially don't want to make new friends.

I lay on my bed, staring at my ceiling thinking of all possible ways to coax my parents into letting us stay.

But it's hopeless.

A lost cause.

"Hey." I hear my brother Ali's voice and I turned to find him leaving on the wall besides my door.

"When did you come in?" I ask him, staring at the ceiling again.

"5 minutes ago. Was waiting for you to finish mumbling whatever nonsense it is you were thinking about." He points and I give him a look before turning back to the ceiling yet again.

"Glaring at the ceiling won't make dad change his mind, you know." He says to me before joining me on my bed.

"I know. I just...."

"Don't want to go? Yeah, me neither. But we have no choice now, do we?" He reasoned and I sigh and nod in understanding.

He's right.

"Get up. We leave tomorrow morning and you're still not don't packing." He pulled me up from the bed while I whine about not wanting to pack anymore.

By the time we were through with the last box, it was time for dinner and we both went downstairs to the dining area where dad and mom were already eating their meal.

We both joined them and ate our meal in a comfortable silence.

"I hope you're both done with your packing. The movers will be here by 7am." Dad spoke when he was done with his meal and I set my fork down on my plate, losing my appetite completely.

I hum a response, taking a sip of my water.

I felt a nudge to my arm and I looked at my brother who smiles assuringly at me.

"I did find out something though." Mom voiced which perked my ears.

"We're listening." I answer.

"Seems Reno High have a bad luck of always losing everytime they reach the basketball states championship finals." She narrated.

Confused, I ask. "So?"

And then it clicked in my head.

"No way!" I squeal, grinning from ear to ear.

"Are you for real, mom?" My brother asks from beside me.

"I am." Mom quipped.

"That means we can both get to join the basketball team." Ali turned to me with a smirk.

But wait...

"That means I won't be captain anymore. I'll just be another ordinary player." I pout earning a head shake from my parents and brother.

"Me too. But you don't see mee sulking about it." My brother retorted and I poked my tongue at him.

He's such a child.

"I heard that." I heard Ali mutter but I turn a deaf ear to him.

"Can I borrow your car keys please?" I ask my brother but he turned a deaf ear to me as well.

Meanie.

"Mom?" I turn to my mom with a pout.

She tried to keep a straight face but sighed.

"Where are you headed?" She asked.

"To Madina's."

She sighs, "Make sure to be home by 10pm."

"Thank you, thank you, thank you." I beamed before dashing to my room.

I pick my scarf and boots before dashing back downstairs to the front door.

As I was putting on my boots, I hear mom shout, "No speeding."

"Got it." I yelled back before taking her car keys from the key hanger and getting out of the house.

I need me a car.