9

SCOTT

I parked my car and entered my dad's house, feeling too tired.

A girl, defeating me in a game no one could beat me at?

Maybe because it's been long since I last played.

I shoved that thought at the back of my mind, getting ready for the scolding of a lifetime.

I was supposed to be in New York today but I ditched.

I needed some vacation or I'd go mad.

"My lovely mother." I called, hugging her from behind when I entered the kitchen.

"Don't even. What are you thinking? Do you know how angry your father is right now?" She bombarded and I sighed, taking a seat on one of the barstools while she continued to tell me the consequences of me not leaving for New York today.

"... and the meeting with Blackford's. Do you know how hard it was to acquire that deal?" She stopped and took a breath.

"I'm sorry." I muttered.

"What? I can't hear you over your insensibility." She mocked and I sighed yet again.

"I'm sorry, okay? I just needed some time off to gather my thoughts." I told her and she raised an eyebrow.

"What could you possibly be thinking about?" She asked, crossing her arms and leaning on the counter.

"Stuff." I lied.

"Hm? Stuff. Wow, Scott. Just, wow." She shook her head and continued stirring whatever it was she was cooking.

"I had a good game with a girl today, wanna hear about it?" I asked getting up from the stool to get myself a bottle of water.

"No, I don't. And I pray you don't meet her again so she doesn't get her heart shattered." My mom fired and I sighed.

"I'll tell the pilot to get the plane ready for my flight to NYC tomorrow morning." I murmured and I saw the ghost of a smile appear on my mother's face.

"Good." She answered simply.

I made a beeline to the door but she stopped me.

"Yeah?" I answered.

"Nothing." She waved it off and I smiled.

I was heading up the stairs when I bumped into my sister.

"I'll call you later." She told the person on the phone while glaring at me.

"My friend's family is coming over for dinner so, be here." She said with a warning stare.

"Nice to see you too." I answered her with as much sarcasm as I could muster.

"Yeah, Yeah. Just get ready on time and please don't try to flirt with her." She told me before walking past me.

I sighed and went to my room, freshened up and walked back down to eat. I was starving.

"What's on the table today?" I asked, sitting comfortably on one of the chairs in the dining room.

"Ravioli."

We ate in silence and Ciara helped by clearing the dishes. My mom and Ciara entered the kitchen doing God knows what. I went to my room and took a nap, since it isnt as if I'd join themmin the kitchen as well.

I was rudely woken up by my sister telling me to get ready because the guests were on their way.

I begrudgingly got up, took a quick shower, and then settled on wearing Black jeans and a white button up shirt before walking out of my room and down the stairs.

"Right on time. Come on, let'sgo welcome them." Mom dragged me to the door and I sighed.

I opened the door and was met with... Mr and Mrs Ahmed? My dad's business associate?

Then I noticed Kara and Ali behind them with a small kid as well.

Mr and Mrs Ahmed were their parents?

My mom cleared her throat, snapping my out of my thoughts.

"Welcome and Good evening, Rabeeb." We shook hands with her father and I smiled, remembering the fact that I couldn't shake her hand.

"We are glad you could make it. Please, come in." My mom ushered them to the living room.

I shook hands with Ali and the little guy before we all settled in the living room.

And... Ciara wasn't here.

"I didn't know you moved to Nevada, Mr. Ahmed. Neither did I know that these two were your kids." I told him truthfully and he chuckled.

"You've met them?" He asked.

"Yeah. With the exception of this little guy." I ruffled the the boy's head as he was sitting beside me.

"That's Asad, my last born." Mrs Ahmed introduced and I smiled at the boy.

"Nice to meet you, Asad." I told him.

"You too, Scott." He answered politely with a cute smirk.

I like this kid.

"Hey. You play video games?" I asked him.

"Yeah."

"I have a play station. Should we check it out?" I asked with a wink and his eyes lit up.

"Definitely." He beamed and I chuckled.

"Count me in as well." Ali chirped in and I nod at him.

"That will be after dinner. Good evening Mr. and Mrs. Ahmed." She greeted and after they exchanged pleasantries, she gave Kara a hug before leading us all to the dining room.

"Come on, little guy." I said to Asad, helping him down from the couch.

Dinner was served and we ate in silence with small talks here and there.

After dinner, we had desserts and I took Asad to my room to show him the game.

Told you, I like the little guy.