15

KARA

My phone kept ringing, interrupting my sleep.

Who's Calling me this night?

"I will swear for you if this isn't important." I answered, not minding to check the Caller ID because only a crazy person would call a sleeping human.

"Look at the time." I heard Madina's voice so I sighed and pulled the phone back to look at the time.

It read 12:01am

"It's midnight, so?" I asked, bringing the phone back to my ear.

"Happy birthday, Kara."

After a minute of silence, I sighed and muttered, "Screw you, dee", before ending the call.

I switched off my phone and went back to sleep. And by sleep, I meant not being able to sleep so I ended up roaming around the room till it was a little to 4am.

Worst part of it, Mr Red flag decided it was 'bout time he came back for a visit.

I was finally able to get some shut-eye after a relaxing bath at around 5am. But it didn't last long when I felt cold liquid splashed on me, abruptly waking me up.

"The Fuck!" I swore at whoever did this as I wiped the water from my eyes.

Don't blame me. Today is just not my day.

"She just swore."

"She used a bad word."

"Shit. She's going to kill us."

"You're damn right, I am." I cut their bickering short, finally able to open my eyes only to come face to face with Madina.

You know, that moment when you're too surprised that your mouth just blurts words that make absolutely no sense?

Yeah, that's what's happening to me right now.

"Missed you too." She winked with a chuckled as I stumbled out of my bed to examine whether she was really here in person.

"Why didn't you tell me you were coming?" I asked her.

"It wouldn't be a surprise if I did." she said and winked at me again.

"Happy Birthday." My brother wished, widening his arms for me knowing exactly what was coming so I wasted no time in punching him as hard as possible in his gut.

He yelped. "How do I never get used to this?"

He hugged me even though I was dripping wet and I immediately melted in his embrace.

"You're okay." He kept whispering the same words over and over soothingly until I was finding it real hard to control myself and not burst into a fit of tears but I managed.

For him. For my little brother who has no idea. And for my parents who think I'm over the entire incident.

"I'm sleeping in your room today, asshole." I told my brother and he chuckled, nodding against my head.

"Happy birthday big sis!" Asad smiled brightly at me and hugged my waist so I let go of Ali and hugged him back.

"Thank you, kiddo."

"He gets hugs while I get punches." I heard Ali huff and I rolled my eyes at his childish behavior.

"We are celebrating this time right. Ali told me-."

"No Asad. I won't celebrate this time as well." I smiled sadly at him, ruffling his hair. He pouted and left the room with Madina tailing behind him trying to cheer him up.