14

KARA

"Scott. What are you doing here?" Ciara asked him while Chloe walked out with a huff.

"Scott William?" Sasha called and they both looked at each other in recognition.

"Ricci?" Scott asked.

I turned and looked at Sasha ready to ask how they knew each other when he picked up his jacket from the chair and walked out without a word.

We just arrived and he left?

What's wrong with him? And why is he upset? Is there some sort of beef between him and Scott?

And why am I curious about what just happened and what clearly happened before?

Well, shit.

I grabbed my phone from our booth and was heading out to follow him when a hand gripped mine.

"Where are you going to?" Scott asked me when I turned and I yanked my hand from his.

"I'm sorry." He apologized, realising what he did.

"You guys have a good time, okay? I'll find my way home." I told my brother and Ciara. They nodded so I walked past Scott and out the door.

What is his problem? And why does he care what I do?

I looked around and noticed him walking on the sidewalk by my right so I followed.

"Heyy!" I yelled in order to get his attention. And I did.

He stopped in his tracks and waited for me as I jogged to his side.

"Did I forget something?" He asked, looking at me.

"Yeah. That signature Sasha smirk." I teased with a wink earning a chuckle from him.

"Are you trying to flirt with me?"

"Oh, please. Get over yourself." I nudged him a little harder this time while he shook his head at me.

"You're something else, Kara Ahmad." He said, and I shrugged, walking in step with him.

"I know."

"So, why did you really follow me?" He asked.

"Something's up between you and Scott William." I inquired, nudging his shoulder with mine.

"And you're concerned about this testa di cazzo?" He asked, his smirk only growing wider.

"What's th-."

"Ohhhh." I laughed and he joined me.

"Doesn't matter now." He waved it off, which only piqued my interest even more.

"Tell me."I urged and he sighed.

"Yet you call me obstinate." He taunted and I poked my tongue at him.

"Can you keep a secret?" He asked and I nodded.

"Promise?"

"Cross my heart." I assured as we reached a bench.

"You know the rumors about me going to the discipline home for 2 years?" He asked, sitting down comfortably with his legs parted. I don't know why I found that interesting but what he said next made me jolt back to reality.

"I was in Jail. The discipline home was just a lame cover up."

"What?"

"Scott and I used to be friends even though he was a grade ahead. His Family and mine have never been on good terms so our friendship was kind of a secret. That year, before our mid terms, My stepdad got mixed up with very scary people from my hometown and... he died. After that, they contacted me, threatening me to bring a particular box from my stepdad's office else they will torture and kill my mother and sister right before my eyes. Me being the scared and naive teenager I was, I confided in Scott, told him everything, including when and where I'd be meeting them...." He stopped and exhaled a shaky breath.

"He offered to accompany me, just in case. And I agreed. Little did I know that Scott and his Father arranged an FBI sting, because apparently, they were after him too. And I just turned out to be collateral."

"It took my mother a year and a few months before she was able to get me bailed. And I spend a couple of months going through therapy. So.... It wasn't exactly easy for me to actually meet him without wanting to..." he blew out an exasperated sigh, not bothering to complete his sentence.

"You went through some tough shit, dude. I'm surprised you didn't punch him or strangle him." I told him honestly, but still not able to meet his gaze.

He's traumatized.

And I know that feeling all too well.

"Thank you." He mumbled and I looked at up at him with a shake of my head.

"I didn't do anything."

"You listened, without judging. And you didn't look at me with pity, like everyone who knows does. I'm grateful for that."

He stood up from the bench abruptly with a heavy exhale, lending me his hand. "Still want that ice-cream? Hopefully Scott is gone."

I stared at his hand for a good minute, the time it took him to realize what he's doing so he retracted his hand and cleared his throat.

"No, actually, I'd rather go back home."

He pulled out his phone, "Let me call Ali to-"

"No, don't bother. I'll walk home. You have fun." I told him and started walking in the direction I'm hoping leads to our neighborhood, then I heard him fall in steps beside me.

I looked up at him.

"I like taking walks and you are new here, I don't want you getting lost." He said with a shrug of his shoulder as we silently walked back home.

When we reached the front door to my house, I stopped and turned to him with a grateful smile.

"You don't need to thank me. Consider it another walk with the strange guy following you, this time in broad daylight." He joked and I laughed heartily.

"I'm surprised your brother hasn't called to ask if I had kidnapped you."The moment he completed his sentence, a call came through my phone and it was none other than my brother calling.

"Spoke too soon." Sasha added as I answered the call with a chuckle. It was a video chat and his concerned face popped up on the screen.

"Where are you? Are you lost? Tell me Sasha didn't kidnap you? Why are you smiling?" He bombarded, only making me laugh harder.

"It's not funny." He mumbled and I stopped, understanding how worried he might be.

"Where are you?" He asked more calmly this time around.

"I'm at home."

"Why didn't you inform me before leaving? What if something happened to you?" He scolded and I smiled at him.

"I'm fine. And I wasn't alone. I had Ricci to keep me company. I'm going to hang up now, bye, have fun." Without letting him say a word, I ended the call.

"Last name basis, huh? We friends now, Karamat?" He asked in a playful tone.

I gave him a pointed look. "Don't get ahead of yourself and don't call me that again."

"Why not?"

"You pronounce my full name weird. Let's just stick to the last names, alright?" I told him and he shrugged his shoulders while I turned towards the front door.

"Hey, Ahmad?" I turned around and raised an inquisitive eyebrow.

"It's not my place to intervene. But your brother really wants to make you happy on your birthday. You should consider letting him throw you a party. I mean, I don't even know why you would-."

"You're right. It's not your place to intervene. Bye." Without letting him get another word, I walked straight into my home and exhaled a deep sigh.