nine | friendly faces and spying

will

"Haven't had time to talk about all these familiar faces, have we?" Will sat next to Percy, who was laying on the edge of the lake. It was the free period for their year, and Hazel had run off to find Frank, so he was alone. He'd decided to find Percy.

He opened one eye and looked up at Will. Then he broke into a sarcastic smile. "What? Zoe Nightshade, the ghosts that I seem to keep seeing around, Michael Yew, who happens to be your brother, and-"

Will cut him off. "And Bianca. And Silena and Beckendorf."

Percy watched Will's eyes for a moment before nodding. "Michael, Bianca, Ethan, Silena, and Beckendorf."

Will nodded back to him. "And the others don't get it. They didn't... know them." Percy and Will had tried to explain to the Romans with them, but they just hadn't understood. Hazel was confused. "They got a second chance," she'd said, "you should be happy you get to spend it with them." 

But Will didn't like that. They didn't know these kids. They didn't survive a war when they perished. They didn't cry themselves to sleep, wondering what they could have done to save their brother, their friend, their family.

"But everyone here seems to know them. Everyone acts like they've been here since year one." Percy groaned. "These are our people, Will. Our family. What is going on here?"

Will swallowed. "Hazel said Gaea may have awakened all of them, and somehow they ended up here. She was interested in meeting Silena and Zoe, but I told her we should probably stay away. Until we know what's going on."

Percy shook his head. "No. If they're here, we might as well make the most of it. Zoe, Ethan and I have been spending a lot of time together in the common room. You should get Hazel and meet with Silena at some point... and...Will, you should talk to Michael." 

Will looked down. "You're probably right," he agreed. 

Percy sighed. "I wanted to call Annabeth, but there's always someone watching."

"She'd know what to do." Will frowned. "Gods, she always knows what to do."

Percy laughed sadly. "Yeah, she does."

The talk of Annabeth made Will think of Nico, again. He just couldn't seem to get the dark haired Hades boy out of his mind. The way Nico called him Sunshine and how he played with the kids when he thought no one was watching. Ever since the war ended, Will felt drawn to him. He wanted to go past all of their bickering and touches in the dark that they both pass off as friendly to the others. He knew they knew. He only wished Nico would admit it. 

But then Will thinks about his mom, and he knows he can't do this to her. She wants a daughter-in-law that helps her cook and wraps the presents perfectly, grandbabies that run around in the backyard of their grandma's large backyard out in the countryside pastures of Georgia. She didn't want her son to run off with a boy that ate pomegranate seeds in the shadows and operated at night, no matter how much Will liked him.

That didn't stop Will from memorizing the sweep of his hair, the way he smiled, or how his face scrunched up in concentration when he was about to shadow jump. Will smiled, the stupid death boy still jumped, even though Will yelled at him every time.

Will looked at Percy in the corner of his eye. He saw a tear fall before Percy flicked it off his cheek. He moved his feet out of the water. They were plum dry. 

"I watched them die, Will, all of them," he muttered.

Will frowned and tried to think of what to do. Percy Jackson was crying, and in six years of knowing the guy, Will had never seen that happen. "I know, Perce. But we should be happy their alive. Maybe they remember something-"

He was cut off by a new voice.

"Hey, guys!" Harry was striding across the grass with Hermione. "What's up?"

Will saw Percy wipe his eyes furiously before turning around and smiling at his new brother. They glanced at each other, making a silent agreement to continue this conversation another time.

"Nothing much," Percy managed. "What's with you two?"

"Get this." Hermione sat next to Will and dug her hands into the wet sand. "I think Ginny and Dean are close to breaking up."

Harry groaned and plopped down next to Percy. He seemed to notice the redness in Percy's eyes, and did a double take at the son of Poseidon.

Will cocked his head to the side, speaking before Harry could. "And this applies to us...how?"

Percy snickered. "Isn't it obvious?" He asked.

Harry went a little red. "Okay, 'Mione, that's enough."

"Because Harry likes Ginny, William!" Hermione gasped, ignoring Harry. "And we need to help him!"

Will turned to Percy, who was watching the ground again, a frown on his face. He noticed Harry watching Percy too, with a confused look.

Will stood. He needed to get Hermione away from here, and maybe Percy could make some headway on the 'Harry you're a demigod come to America please' front. "Hermione, let's go stake out their location!"

Hermione looked bewildered. "What?"

"Let's go spy on them," Will explained. "Then we'll know for sure!"

Before she could agree, Will had already taken her arm in his hand and pulled her up. He was pulling her with him, away from the two boys, when Percy looked up from the ground.

Will gave him a small smile and Percy smiled back.

"Thank you," he mouthed.

Will nodded and turned back to Hermione. "Where were they last, do you know?"

The bushy haired girl smiled, like she was happy to be using her intelligence for something other than Runes. "The library, actually, I was just coming from there with Ron when I heard them bickering in the corner."

He sent Hermione a questioning look. "You and Ron?" 

Hermione shoved his shoulder and walked faster. "Shut it. Come on!" 

Will smiled and looked around as they tromped up the hill. The sun was shining, despite the time of year, and a fish hopped out of the lake right beside Percy and Harry. Harry pointed, surprised and entertained, but Percy just smiled. Will laughed to himself. This place, these people, he could get used to it.